Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: protein shakes/ power - taste

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a workout thread?

Here's what I've been doing recently, looking for input.

Background: I'm a very small-boned guy (waise size twenty friggin nine), fairly thin with a little bit of fat. I'm looking to bulk up in a way that is visible with my shirt on, and get rid of that fat.

I've been doing strictly a dumbell workout for the past few months, and I think I'm plateauing.

I workout every other day, and every two weeks I alternate my workout (although I still work out the same muscle groups).

For example, using this site, I do flat press for chest the first two weeks, then flies the other two weeks. I only work chest, back, shoulders, biceps and trapezius. However I take quite a bit of time (like 5-10 minutes sometimes) between sets while I browse on the internet and such. Is this really that bad?

Also the only real change to my diet I've introduced is taking a multivitamin/multimineral. I eat lean cuisine, frozen lean pockets, pastas, subway, cereals, hot dogs, pretzels, rice cakes, tuna salad sandwiches, and a little bit of fruit mostly. I'm thinking about buying some whey protein shakes and drinking one after each workout, but beyond that I don't really know what else to do. Is it healthy to become more reliant than that on whey protein shakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres problem #1. I bet you only do lat pulldowns for your back exercise right? While doing exercises that focus on big muscle groups will cause you to use more energy and burn more calories, you should be considering a workout that covers your entire body throughout the week. Performing only certain movements can cause postural problems and plateaus in your workout.

Also, it seems like your diet is comprised of a TON of carbohydrates, with a little saturated fat and some protein here and there. Very bad combination. Instead of lean pockets, try lean deli meat with whole wheat bread, cut out pretzels since they have exactly zero nutrition value, and unless you're going to jenny craig, stop eating rice cakes for gods sake unless you've lost all sense of taste in your mouth.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:31 PM

Another vote for MuscleMilk. Mix it with 2% milk. it's great.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 AM

No like I think I said I use exclusively dumbells when working out, so I do the back exercises on that website I linked. There are a couple different ones that I alternate between in two-week stretches. Going to a gym just wouldn't fit into my schedule.

Also there are some good ricecake snakes out there now (Quaker brand I think)- they taste as good as potato chips in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However I take quite a bit of time (like 5-10 minutes sometimes) between sets while I browse on the internet and such. Is this really that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but this is ridiculous.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However I take quite a bit of time (like 5-10 minutes sometimes) between sets while I browse on the internet and such. Is this really that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but this is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to minimize rest between sets. 60 seconds max at the moderate intesity your routine suggests.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:37 AM

Yeah I figured.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:42 AM

if you people arent pinching your nose closed when drinking the crappy tasting mixes/shakes/whatever, you arent doing yourself any favors. pinch your nose closed and you wont taste hardly anything.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:21 AM

i have chocolate flavored whey protein and it tastes best if you heat it up like hot chocolate. it also mixes better
Old 01-30-2006, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try to minimize rest between sets. 60 seconds max at the moderate intesity your routine suggests.

[/ QUOTE ]According to this, 2-3 minutes is best: http://www.simplyfit.com/R-EXE-STR.htm
Old 01-30-2006, 10:19 AM

So uh, I just went to http://www.allthewhey.com/ and what does this mean: "Recent research shows that it’s best to consume whey protein two hours before exercising - after exercising, within two hours or less. This is the time when the body needs protein the most."?

And which do I get, the isolate, the protein blend, or the protein powder?

Like I said, mostly looking to bulk up. I don't think my body is really capable of being fat.