Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Jamie Gold not that bad

[ QUOTE ]
Cunningham would have been a much better champ and poker representative.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way cunningham winning would be better for poker. Gold, douche or not, is more of your typical joe sixpack. The average guy on the street isn't going to start playing poker because a pro managed to win the whole thing. It is much better when an amatuer (douche or not) wins the main event.

This isn't the noble peace prize, its a poker tournament.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only problem with him would be if he is in fact trying to screw over his "partner." If he is doing that then all bets are off.

[/ QUOTE ]

from everything Ive read how is he not doing this right now?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cunningham would have been a much better champ and poker representative.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way cunningham winning would be better for poker. Gold, douche or not, is more of your typical joe sixpack. The average guy on the street isn't going to start playing poker because a pro managed to win the whole thing. It is much better when an amatuer (douche or not) wins the main event.

This isn't the noble peace prize, its a poker tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're past that. It doesn't really matter who wins. Joe Sixpack just sees someone win $12 mil and the top 12 getting paid at least a mil. Thats all that really matters.

By the way, I think Cunningham would've represented poker much better...I've got a feeling poker is going to be facing some image problems over the next several months. I don't think Gold is going to help.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:27 PM

When Varkonyi won I thought it could never, ever be any worse. Then Jamie Gold came along.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:03 PM

i got top top, what a [censored], he pretended like he sincerely cared about the person who got knocked out.

Varkonyi is likeable and seems like a nice guy, hes just the dorky type.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sorry, but from what i have seen of the WSOP TV coverage Gold seems pretty personable and likeable. Yeah he is chatty, but generally not rude or in anyones face. Perhaps ESPN is doing a good job of editing but the other players at the table don't seem to have a problem with him.

I think alot of the hate comes from people's jealousy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe John Wayne Gacy was just a tad misunderstood.

Sorry, That was just the first thing that came to mind. I've seen people berate others much worse than Gold did.

My biggest problem was the way he was cheating. Now I don't think he went in with the mindset that it WAS cheating. He should know the rules. I'm not saying they will or should take it away from him.

He just stays in eternal jerk status for most people. At least thats' the impression I get.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:07 PM

psss they all do it..
Old 09-20-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that he is douche simply because he is chatty at the poker table. I know alot of good people that get chatty while playing poker. Alot of players use that to their advantage and to get under people's skin and to create confusion.

And his chatter did a great job of getting mahatma to lay down those 7's when he knew he was good. It was actually one of the more entertaining scenes i have seen watching televised poker and basically ended mahatama's run. And in all honesty, if mahatma makes that call i think he would have won the whole thing.

My only problem with him would be if he is in fact trying to screw over his "partner." If he is doing that then all bets are off.

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't have a problem with him because of antics like the ones displayed in the hand you're referring to. What I saw last night that really bothered me was Gold telling his Commerce buddy that he would have laid down if he knew he was AHEAD so his friend could get further in the tournament.

C-O-L-L-U-S-I-O-N.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that he is douche simply because he is chatty at the poker table. I know alot of good people that get chatty while playing poker. Alot of players use that to their advantage and to get under people's skin and to create confusion.

And his chatter did a great job of getting mahatma to lay down those 7's when he knew he was good. It was actually one of the more entertaining scenes i have seen watching televised poker and basically ended mahatama's run. And in all honesty, if mahatma makes that call i think he would have won the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't have a problem with him because of antics like the ones displayed in the hand you're referring to. What I saw last night that really bothered me was Gold telling his Commerce buddy that he would have laid down if he knew he was AHEAD so his friend could get further in the tournament.

C-O-L-L-U-S-I-O-N.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, he was screwing around and playing mind games. There was no way he would have laid down the best hand and openly admit it. Gold is obviously smarter than people think. If someone colludes to they openly say so with the TV cameras rolling?

And why havent we heard all of these complaints from the other players at the table. Apparently, they "got it" and realized he was just talking smack to get into peoples heads.

Do people remember hearing the night before the final table when gold said he was going to throw the tournament to avoid coming in first to avoid the publicity?

Everything he said during the tournament was an effort to decieve and confuse everyone. Apparently, it worked pretty well.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember someone saying that Gold had been raising almost every hand, so Rizen decided to take a stand with the Ace. His table talk did seem really strange though. I'm kind of surprised no one at the table (mostly Mahatma) said anything about the talk while there were still people left to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the same thing. i really didn't like what i was seeing or hearing at all, and for Prahlad, the most notorious rules & etiquette stickler in the world, to ignore it is pretty weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

During at least one point in last nights telecase Prahlad did NOT look amused by Gold's table talk; perhaps his earlier run-in with Jeff L. (in which Prahlad appeared to be in the wrong at least wrt who's ante was missing) caused him to not say anything to Gold.