Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 11:54 PM

Default Re: why isn\'t Allen Cunningham an ftp \"name player\"?

[ QUOTE ]
allen is so rich he doesnt need any money he plays for the for the win

[/ QUOTE ]

this is rubbish. unless your last name is buffett, gates, or walton, when $12 million is on the line it is definitely about the money.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:50 PM

lol
Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gilbert,

It's just a business deal. Some players once they get the exposure that lets them get a deal will jump at whatever FT offers. Other players will negotiate and hold out for better terms. Cunningham clearly has reached the level of success, exposure, and prominence that he could get a deal like some of these other folks if he wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also it is worth mentionng the Cunningham was already a well known pro before the TV boom. I am usre he is able to hold out for the best possible deal. Some of the players that were added after the initial rollout of FTP were not in position to hold out for a great deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Allen at all. But, for whatever reason, I get the feeling he's not in some big holdout status.

I also don't think he's being sought after real hard. I think most people who follow poker have the greatest respect for his play. But he also comes across pretty shy without all the flare that some others might have.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing by any means. Just that he's quiet and goes out to "get it done".

It's all about making money for the particular site. Unfortunatly Clonie Gowan gets a bigger following that Cunningham.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know Allen at all. But, for whatever reason, I get the feeling he's not in some big holdout status.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Andrew Feldman's final table profile on Cunningham:

[ QUOTE ]
What will he buy with the winnings: He's already has the money to buy whatever he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing the amount of compensation isn't the issue, but the visibility might be. For some people there actually IS such a thing as "enough" money, and by all accounts, he doesn't really like to be in the public eye.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From Andrew Feldman's final table profile on Cunningham:

[ QUOTE ]
What will he buy with the winnings: He's already has the money to buy whatever he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing the amount of compensation isn't the issue, but the visibility might be. For some people there actually IS such a thing as "enough" money, and by all accounts, he doesn't really like to be in the public eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant by not knowing him was I'm not like buddies with him.

Many people have known or known about Allen for many years. The first time I saw him was in the first season (I think it was the first season) of the WPT in Paris.

I remember thinking about how poised and respectful he was compared to some of the others.