Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Am I a wuss? ($22)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey scuba

if he likes his hand enough to push my limp i dont think it will matter if i limp or raise to 125. maybe he folds like .5% more when i raise to 125 but thats about it i think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, it's not like you limp and he suddenly decides to push rags. If he was going to raise anyway he probably sees this as a good shot to double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think once some guys raises half his stack, that A7 still looks good enough?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:43 AM

I standard raise this.

I think playing level 3 supertight is the wrong way to go. If anything I think it is one of the levels where as a pushbotter it is easiest to give up +EV situations because it is a tweener level. But folding hands that in the long run will make you money just because it is easier is a leak IMO.

I think I am too tight in level 3 but I won't fold this. I probably fold 77-88 though.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:45 AM

Probably, yeah.

The REAL point here is that it's not worth considering how your raise affects the short stack's play, since in all likelihood he's folding anyway. Is the dude raising 40% of his hands or something? I didn't read it all.

In fact I didn't read the stacks, I looked at hero's stack, the blind, 8 players, UTG, and said to raise. And I really think those are the only real considerations in most situations like this.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I standard raise this.

I think playing level 3 supertight is the wrong way to go. If anything I think it is one of the levels where as a pushbotter it is easiest to give up +EV situations because it is a tweener level. But folding hands that in the long run will make you money just because it is easier is a leak IMO.

I think I am too tight in level 3 but I won't fold this. I probably fold 77-88 though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd bet that a lot of 2+2ers are losers at lvl 3, and at the very least modest winners.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey scuba

if he likes his hand enough to push my limp i dont think it will matter if i limp or raise to 125. maybe he folds like .5% more when i raise to 125 but thats about it i think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, it's not like you limp and he suddenly decides to push rags. If he was going to raise anyway he probably sees this as a good shot to double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think once some guys raises half his stack, that A7 still looks good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

if this guy is going to push A7 after i limp, then i have no doubt he will take the A7 and gamble if i raise.

if this guy folds to my raise then i really think he doesnt have it in him to push if i limp, because he knows im not going to fold (well he doesnt know that but ill give villain credit for at least a tenth of a brain to recognize the situation).

if you are suggesting that a limp will surely get the shortstack to commit his chips 100% of the time compared to the 99% of the time we get his chips when we raise, then i understand the point you are making. but i dont want to flip-flop, so im going to stand by the raise. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2006, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey scuba

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if this guy is going to push A7 after i limp, then i have no doubt he will take the A7 and gamble if i raise.

if this guy folds to my raise then i really think he doesnt have it in him to push if i limp, because he knows im not going to fold (well he doesnt know that but ill give villain credit for at least a tenth of a brain to recognize the situation).

if you are suggesting that a limp will surely get the shortstack to commit his chips 100% of the time compared to the 99% of the time we get his chips when we raise, then i understand the point you are making. but i dont want to flip-flop, so im going to stand by the raise. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No where in this thread, did I suggest a limp here. I said, that if there was another shorty I would limp. I would raise to 125 or fold here, depending on how I felt right then.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:52 AM

This is an obvious raise..

If you had AKo or AKs would you fold here? There's 5 hands that could possibly rape you, and if it's high cards you're a coinflip here. Granted, it can be hard to play a flop when overs appear on the flop but I always play this. I'd pop it to a standard 150.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:54 AM

My style of play in level 3 is determined predominantly by my stack size. If my stack is healthy but not great like in this game, I play tight. I don't think I can say that I have a particular level 3 style in general since it changes based upon the game situation.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:59 AM

Well, you aren't "healthy" but you are 3rd in chip stacks..

I simply don't feel like givine up equity here is worth it in the long run. I used to be one of those 2+2'ers who play super right in this level so I could use fold equity while I steal blinds in the late levels, but if you pick up another 350 or so chips from the pot using the 9's it definitely helps you out.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I standard raise this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd bet that a lot of 2+2ers are losers at lvl 3, and at the very least modest winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am I think a 0.01BB loser at level 3. Also my level 3 VPIP is way low, like 7.5%.