Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Re: $22s - AK totally misplayed

I read somewhere (I wish I could remember where) that a lot of people don't know if they should raise or fold, and end up taking the "middle ground" of calling, which is usually the worst option.--If I could give a source, I might lend that idea some more credibility, but I'm still putting it out there. You're doing fine with chips but 2/3 times you are not hitting that flop, which makes your call, 2/3 times, a waste. Pushing (also being OOP) gives you some FE for those 600 some chips already in the pot (not a bad takedown).

They say that the preflop minraise means AA/KK/AK. I've seen enough to know that it often will be, but I've also seen enough to know that at lower levels, idiots will make that raise because they overvalue a hand like KJ, KQ, Q10. I'm not saying I expected MP2 to HAVE that kind of hand (especially since his minraise was made in position and without a limp to defend), but it always crosses my mind whenever I see it, and don't assume he has that AA/KK or you will be losing value on winning hands as, in fact, you did.

Once I hit that straight, I am betting strongly or c/r all in. You could be up against a flush, but this is an extremely weird hand and the betting does not add up to a flush, IMO. Also, you are playing a SnG, which means that you are in a bit of a hurry to accumulate chips--practically speaking, this means that hands that you could get away from in a cash game, you can't in a SnG. Sometimes you just have to take your hand to the proverbial value-town and hope you're not up against a stronger hand.