Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Not Even Sure How To Title This

I say bet 1600. They both have 800 invested with the blinds, u raise it up to 1600 you may have a better idea where u stand. If a scare card hits for you on river, they may check it to you thinking you will bet and you get to show down with a nice pot. If they both are on draws (or 2 pair) you get action and maybe cheap showdown
Old 08-30-2006, 12:35 PM

Initutively, I can't get a feel for a turn raise that would be correct, and I'm certainly not weak-tight generally. That's why I asked what the plan going into river would be if turn was raised. So I can't answer that one. This one's giving me a headache. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:02 PM

given your read that someone has the As (I dunno how accurate that is, but whatever), calling here sucks ass. I'd probably call though as I'm not as confident as you.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM

The flop is an easy call. I don't know what I was thinking at 2AM.

The turn was the best possible card in the deck (Ah,Ad aswell)

I'd pop the turn to T2000, because you are ahead of their ranges and they haven't shown strength. Now there are only 8 hands that are ahead of you.

As played I think BB has to have a hand like KJ/qj to continue to try and buy cards cheaply. It's much more likely for UTG to have one of these 8 hands (nuts)as they are coordinated cards, and in alot of players limping range. I'd expect UTG to just call 3-ways, and raise 2 ways w/ the nuts against what is most likely the T(of spades).

I think you have to bet the turn because in the event neither player has the nuts, both players are drawing to the nuts (or thereabouts), and are getting sufficient implied odds to put chips in when you are ahead. For example, the naked As will pay you on the turn but not on the river for a busted flush.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Okay, well this will pretty much serve as the results post since the river was the most boring card in the deck.

Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the Button

UTG calls, 2 fold, MP2 calls, 3 fold, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot is 1000)

SB checks, BB bets 200, UTG raises to 400, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot is 2200)

BB bets 200, UTG calls, Hero raises to 1300, BB calls, UTG folds.

River is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets 200, Hero calls

I guess this hand turned out to be a little more standard than I thought. As it was happening, I felt like there were a lot of different lines I could take, but really the only interesting part to me is the size of the turn raise. The reason I raised so small was to hopefully keep the weak 2-pair hands in (didn't seem to work with UTG folding) and also to keep the pot size manageable for when the river was the 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I'm still not sure I like this though considering I really felt that BB or UTG had the As, and would have a hard time folding it even with very incorrect odds simply because of the pair (two-pair?) + NFD.

BB showed a naked AsXx and we split the pot.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:40 PM

I like a rather large bet. I'd calculate what a pot sized bet is here first(3000), with the intention of probably toning it down a bit (but possibly pushing if it is near my stack size), then compare it to my stack, (13000-200-400= 12600), realize that if it is called, the pot will be equal to my stack on the river. I can handle this, but I think I'd still drop the bet by about 10% or 2700 (+/-100).

I think at that point, I'd be committed to calling an overpush.

Then as I'm typing in my bet, I'd start thinking about what to do on various river cards (another A or K, another Q or J, another spade not the As or 9s, or an offsuit baby...and on that note, I have to leave this computer.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:42 PM

yeah, I'd probably overbet, maybe even shove the turn, as I think the As is folding very rarely there.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:08 PM

I think your raise was too small. If someone has As+another offsuit broadway, he has as many as 7 outs to a nut flush (w/out a str8flush) and 4 outs to a full house, plus 3 outs to broadway on board. That's a pretty big draw. If you are going to have trouble folding on the river to many of those outs, you definitely should charge a lot more.

I stand by my ~90% of pot bet until someone gives a good reason why raising ~1/3 of the pot is good.