Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Official Deadwood Season Finale Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was v good. It's not fair to judge it as a series finale. No closure does kinda suck. Hopefully we'll get the movies or another season after we finish season 1 of the surf show.

FYI the real life Al Swearingen gets hit by a train in Denver.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the door is still open for another season, maybe? And, the movies aren't a "done deal"?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was v good. It's not fair to judge it as a series finale. No closure does kinda suck. Hopefully we'll get the movies or another season after we finish season 1 of the surf show.

FYI the real life Al Swearingen gets hit by a train in Denver.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the door is still open for another season, maybe? And, the movies aren't a "done deal"?

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as I know the movies ARE a done deal, but nobody's talking about it right now at all, which makes me wonder if it'll really happen. I have no idea.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:36 PM

I'll be so disappointed if they leave it as is. Another season (or 3) would be awesome, and the movies would suffice but not be nearly as satisfying.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:43 PM

Perhaps I have been spoiled by the completely satisfying ending to "Six Feet Under", a show I watched only semi-regularly.

I wanted to see Dan and Johnny lead Wu's chink army through the streets of Deadwood, where they line up against Hearst's Pinkertons. I wanted to see the muddy slop of the thoroughfare replaced with the blood and innards of gutted men. I wanted to see Hearst slap that loopy [censored] Trixie. I wanted to see Bullock hand down some earnest beatings. I wanted to see Hearst retreat as he realizes there are easier places to expand his fortune. I wanted to see Al offer half priced pussy and whiskey as the locals celebrate a hard fought victory. I wanted to see Hearst send his Pinkertons to burn out the town as he left. I wanted to see Swearengen's scowl with his beloved Gem aflame behind him.

Bummer.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Yeah tolliver is nutso. I had a bit of trouble understanding his line this season. I'll have to brush up via on demand.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:37 PM

I was quite satisfied with the ending. The fact of the matter is that as much as I love Swearengen, Hearst is just a notch above on the badass scale. Swearengen knew in the end that he just didn't have enough to take him down.

I loved how, even in the face of all odds, Bullock and Charlie never backed down. The end with Bullock telling Hearst to get the hell out of camp or he'll drag him out of camp by his ear, after telling Charlie to stay back, and in the face of all of Hearst's armed men... was chilling.

I'll miss this show.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 PM

I watched the episode again On-demand. It really was an excellent episode.

Here is a writer that I have been following weekly. He is of the opinion this is the best drama that he has ever seen. Some of the actors of the show (Jim Beaver-Ellsworth in particular) have written him to tell him what a spectacular job he has done as TV critic and his interpretation of the show. Anyway he is much better at conveying the episode then I (he is a little more luke warm to the episode):

Link to Excellent Deadwood critic

One other Deadwood link I think is awesome. This is a link to how many time [censored] is uttered in an episode. They also have a [censored] to C**Sucker ratio that I think is quite funny:

[censored]'s per minute
Old 08-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

Do you think Jack, kind of betrayed Al? Giving a headsup to Hearst that Al is prepared for war?

I think he did...
Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 PM

did this show get cancelled?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah tolliver is nutso. I had a bit of trouble understanding his line this season. I'll have to brush up via on demand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frustrated. Frustrated, self-destructive and lashing out. Frustrated at bowing before Hearst and getting nothing from it. Frustrated with his injuries. Compare and contrast with EB in a similar situation, left to only mumbling to himself...

In some ways, Deadwood really confounds me... Tolliver was really setup as a foil for Swerenger. An even eviler version of Swerenger the anti-hero. But then as they're still circling each other, Hearst rides in and takes over the whole season. Was Powers Booth incapacited in real life? Did they need to reduce his role for that reason? And then there's the Earps, you'd expect an awful lot more payoff than that... And I have no idea where the acting troop was going. WTF?

OTOH, they really set the whole thing up with Jenny really well. Gradulally working her in as Johnny's sweetheart over several episodes.

Great, great show that will be missed!