$7 5 11.63%
$8 14 32.56%
$9 4 9.30%
$10 8 18.60%
$11+ 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Been to a psychic?

I know a guy who sees into the future in weird ways. my brother, for example, needed a pair of swimming goggles a few years ago. he never mentioned that fact to anyone, but a few days later the guy came to him with a pair of goggles and says "I felt a tremour in the force and thought you might need these." we never made much of it, nor did we try to go out of our way to satisfy our curiousity about how he knew that. he never really made much of a big deal out of this ability, either.

applying a rational analysis to whether psychics' predictions are for real seems kinda silly, because there is absolutely no way to prove it correct or incorrect. but fwiw, if there was some kind of event that I could bet on and a psychic of reasonable moral fiber told me the likely outcome, I'd probably put money on it up to 2:1 against. anyone else?

for an interesting perspective on psychics and the supernatural, I recommend "Travels" by michael crichton. some of the stories are probably bogus but it does provide an interesting viewpoint.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know a guy who sees into the future in weird ways. my brother, for example, needed a pair of swimming goggles a few years ago. he never mentioned that fact to anyone, but a few days later the guy came to him with a pair of goggles and says "I felt a tremour in the force and thought you might need these." we never made much of it, nor did we try to go out of our way to satisfy our curiousity about how he knew that. he never really made much of a big deal out of this ability, either.

applying a rational analysis to whether psychics' predictions are for real seems kinda silly, because there is absolutely no way to prove it correct or incorrect. but fwiw, if there was some kind of event that I could bet on and a psychic of reasonable moral fiber told me the likely outcome, I'd probably put money on it up to 2:1 against. anyone else?

for an interesting perspective on psychics and the supernatural, I recommend "Travels" by michael crichton. some of the stories are probably bogus but it does provide an interesting viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-19-2006, 12:01 PM

I have a trilogy of Scott Adams (Dilbert) books, and in one of them he details a meeting with one. At one point the psychic asks him what his greatest fear is and Scott begins to recall an episode from his early childhood where his father is holding him over a bridge and he recalls being deathly afraid that his father would lose his grip and that he would plummet to the water below.

At that point, the psychic tells him: "I see a bridge..."

Nonetheless, I do believe the skepticism towards psychics is largely justified simply because as man (poster) said, "applying a rational analysis to whether psychics' predictions are for real seems kinda silly, because there is absolutely no way to prove it correct or incorrect."