Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Re: New Business/Website (want feedback)

In an effort to increase traffic you can now help the site by digging it or by blinking it

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2006, 10:35 AM

I'll pitch in and help with my 1 dig vote.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 PM

I like this idea, but what drives your traffic? What leads people to your page in the first place?

Besides posts on 2+2, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2006, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this idea, but what drives your traffic? What leads people to your page in the first place?

Besides posts on 2+2, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping to get first time visitors from forums, blogs, word-of-mouth, and later some sort of press campaign, etc. I'm then expecting people to be returning just out of curiosity to see how the site is doing. I realise that nobody goes to a site because they feel like watching an ad, but they will come to see if this is actually making me money and they might also be interested in what kind of advertisers are willing to pay for this idea.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:48 PM

I like your enthusiasm and creativity a lot, but I do see a couple of negatives to this that you may want to consider addressing.

1) You receive a maximum of 5% of the bid per day that an ad is up (on a 2day Ad, less on multiple day Ads). So, if your bid is up to $1000 then you have revenue of $50 per day. (As a rough ballpark using a $10 CPM you can expect to need 5000 visitors a day to justify a $1000 bid).

If we agree that 5000 visitors a day to this site would be considered a great success then realize that your monthly revenue is topping out at $1500 (30days x $50). My problem with this model is that the top end is very limited. After your time costs and expenses, $1500 may not be substantial enough. I tend to shy away from projects that don't have a scalable top end.

My point is definitely not to bash the idea but to suggest you consider some residual income streams. Perhaps instead of refunding an old ad's complete deposit you keep half of it on account and then charge them CPC for clicks on the 'old ad' section?

2) As mentioned before in this thread, you need to have constantly changing content to keep visitors coming back. Any large customer who succeeds in holding the ad for 25 days is going to kill your traffic. Perhaps you should lower the maximum days per ad dramatically (to 5 or less). The same customer could buy more blocks, but would have to change their ad to keep it somewhat more fresh.

3) Too much poker advertising. In order to succeed here you will need some media attention. With the current advertiser history it is looking like you are just a poker-ad company. I think this will be a deterrent to being picked up by any major media. I suggest you make every effort to make sure your next few ads are not poker related.

Anyway - hope these suggestions help some. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your enthusiasm and creativity a lot, but I do see a couple of negatives to this that you may want to consider addressing.

1) You receive a maximum of 5% of the bid per day that an ad is up (on a 2day Ad, less on multiple day Ads). So, if your bid is up to $1000 then you have revenue of $50 per day. (As a rough ballpark using a $10 CPM you can expect to need 5000 visitors a day to justify a $1000 bid).

If we agree that 5000 visitors a day to this site would be considered a great success then realize that your monthly revenue is topping out at $1500 (30days x $50). My problem with this model is that the top end is very limited. After your time costs and expenses, $1500 may not be substantial enough. I tend to shy away from projects that don't have a scalable top end.

My point is definitely not to bash the idea but to suggest you consider some residual income streams. Perhaps instead of refunding an old ad's complete deposit you keep half of it on account and then charge them CPC for clicks on the 'old ad' section?

2) As mentioned before in this thread, you need to have constantly changing content to keep visitors coming back. Any large customer who succeeds in holding the ad for 25 days is going to kill your traffic. Perhaps you should lower the maximum days per ad dramatically (to 5 or less). The same customer could buy more blocks, but would have to change their ad to keep it somewhat more fresh.

3) Too much poker advertising. In order to succeed here you will need some media attention. With the current advertiser history it is looking like you are just a poker-ad company. I think this will be a deterrent to being picked up by any major media. I suggest you make every effort to make sure your next few ads are not poker related.

Anyway - hope these suggestions help some. Best of luck to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, great feedback, appreciate it a lot.

1) I don't think the top end is that low. I think 1500$ would certainly be a good result, and I'd be happy if I got to that level (considering that I would on average probably spend less than an hour a day on the project), but I think there's potential for even more. How likely it is, is another question but the possibility is there. Also, the site will probably drive more traffic to my blog and if can get that amount of traffic to the blog aswell I can monetize the blog and make money that way too.

I also have some ideas that I'll take into consideration if the site starts off well. Like maybe increasing the cost/day or making the minimum days 1 instead of 2. Changing the payment to having "an account" and later charging per click in the old section will make it to complicated I think. I believe it's important that visitors understand right away how the site works and even if the idea with an account and cpc is quite simple it becomes to much information.

2) Agreed. 25 days without change would indeed kill traffic. 5 days is to short but I could probably change it so that it's either a shorter amount of days or that the offer decreases by each day until it's low enough that someone will jump on again.

3) Definitely agree. I hopefully have a 4th ad coming up soon that is not poker related at all and it's from a pretty big site (I've been waiting for them to create the ad, and haven't received it yet).
The problem with too much poker ads is that I haven't really been in a position where I can turn someone down [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
It's also the reason why I'm not having a "press campaign" yet. Because I want some more ads before I start pushing more for the site and preferrably a more varied content from the sites advertising.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:21 AM

In the "previous ads" page, why not display the actual ads? It would be more interesting to look at then a textual description of the ad, and you could charge for CPM or CPA.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:38 PM

You can not read ad 4.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can not read ad 4.

[/ QUOTE ]
?

Not sure I understand. Do you mean that ad 4 is just images, and no text?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the "previous ads" page, why not display the actual ads? It would be more interesting to look at then a textual description of the ad, and you could charge for CPM or CPA.

[/ QUOTE ]
The actual ads would take up way to much space. It would work now that I have like 4 ads, but not in the long run.

However your feedback gave me an idea on how I can display it in a different way, and I'm going to get working on that improvement now.

Thanks.