Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Woud you recommend people take up poker?

The main factor is what stage they are in of their lives. If they have a wife and two kids, no way. If they are decently well-off, in college and are smart enough and disciplined enough, yea I think poker is a great idea.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still consider poker to be the opposite of gambling, because you can choose to put your money on the line only when you have the best of it

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting your money on the line when you have the best of it is the sign of a GOOD gambler
Old 08-06-2006, 10:58 PM

I think it's just a semantic difference.

"Gambling" = -EV decisions
"Poker" = +EV decisions

When you gamble, you are betting on losing positions and hoping that luck will save you. The skill in poker comes from determining which situations are -EV and avoiding them.

It is therefore the opposite of gambling.

That's what I meant in my earlier post.

q/q
Old 08-07-2006, 02:50 AM

I think studying the game of poker can help through a person's life more than anything they teach you at school, things like making best rational deicision given everything available to you, and also realizing how important the "big" picture is despite the "variance" in life.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd recommend someone give it a go casually. The only time I'd have a reservation on that is if the person in question is known to have a gambling problem. If not, go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is my approach. I've played against compulsive gamblers, and that sort of thing doesn't make me feel very good about beating the game.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:06 PM

no. Most will not be good enough or have the discipline/desire to be good enough to win.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no. Most will not be good enough or have the discipline/desire to be good enough to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this make any difference? Not everyone plays poker to win. On the other hand, I think you should be honest with people and tell them that they will probably lose money. But if they can handle their losses, poker can be an enjoyable activity nonetheless.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone is a pit player, especially, I strongly recommend that they take up poker. Worst case, they lose the same money they were going to lose in the pits anyway. Best case, they become a winning player. So either they're no worse off or they're substantially better off. It's pretty much a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is WAY off. Many people would be far better off playing craps than poker. A totally clueless player is at a much bigger disadvantage playing poker than slots typically.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If someone is a pit player, especially, I strongly recommend that they take up poker. Worst case, they lose the same money they were going to lose in the pits anyway. Best case, they become a winning player. So either they're no worse off or they're substantially better off. It's pretty much a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is WAY off. Many people would be far better off playing craps than poker. A totally clueless player is at a much bigger disadvantage playing poker than slots typically.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question: exactly HOW are they "better off"? They lose their money, but it just takes them a little longer to do it? Where is the benefit in that?

q/q