Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Place to live in Detroit - Any advice at all?

Troy is very safe. Living in Troy Michigan is like living in Troy Minnesota. Thats right, I said it, [censored] Minnesota. Garrison Keillor, Husker Du, that place. Troy NY is a little sketchy, but more sketchy in crack deals than actual violence. People from anywhere in SE Michigan try and claim they are tough. They aren't. The actual tough people in SE Michigan aren't on the internet. Thats right baby, 47% functional illiteracy rate for Detroit.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grosse Ile is the safest city in the state about 20 minutes south of Detroit. I used to live there. It's an island with dual bridges one free and one toll. About 2 miles wide and 8 miles long in the Detroit river. The adjacent city is Trenton which is the 2nd safest in terms of crime rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that places up north (Traverse City, Sault Ste. Marie, Mackinac, etc.) are safer than any major city. I have no stats to back up my claims though. Do you?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:17 AM

You made my night. Thank you.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:55 AM

How much money do you have? The suggestions you have received thus far are good. If you want to hang out at bars with young people in a decent-sized town, Ann Arbor is your best bet. It's one of the better college towns if you like that sort of thing. Lots of artsy stuff and vegan restaurants and whatnot too.

You shouldn't really be considering a place in Detroit although there are some parts of the north city that are livable. Instead, look into nearby suburbs like Troy or, perhaps for you, downtown Royal Oak or downtown Birmingham. As others have told you, Oakland County is extremely wealthy and thus can be extremely expensive.

-Michael
Old 07-09-2006, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I am misformed, but Detroit is made out to be one of the worst places to live in USA. You rarely here anything cool said about it(besides rappers) like you do about NYC or LA. Whenever anybody mentions "Detroit" it seems like the word crime follows quickly afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Downtown Detroit is just as safe as most big Downtowns everywhere. It is truly one of fastest improving cities in the USA. There is actual nightlife, and restaurants downtown again, and they are thriving. It has a beautiful river and across it is Windsor, Canada. Which is a pretty cool city also.

The problems that you often hear about are in the 'inner city', which in actuality are the parts that surround Downtown. These ghettos are no different than Chicago, New York, LA etc. Drugs and poverty are a main culprit as is often the case. The good news is that the average person rarely if ever has any reason to go into one of these danger zones. Tiger Stadium use to be in the middle of the ghetto, but has since moved to Downtown. So, as long as your car does not break down and you don't decide to stop at one of the 7-11's in the danger zones, you should be fine.

Like I said earlier, Oakland County is the 4th wealthiest county, so it is very nice and trendy. And as many have mentioned Ann Arbor is a great city. Go to a Michigan football game in the fall and you will see what its all about.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you live in AA, actually live downtown--preferably in Kerrytown or the Old West Side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep that in mind, I was wondering where someone who doesn't go to Michigan would want to live

[ QUOTE ]
Also, check out some of the retro-fitted lofts in Detroit proper

[/ QUOTE ]

old building with pimp interiors are very appealing

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about Detroit but I have been laughing for the last couple minutes at this line for some reason:
[ QUOTE ]
Wikipedia made Detroit seem pretty dangerous

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I came off as a wuss, but I was trying to say in a politically correct way that I didn't want to live in the ghetto, because I want to stumble back drunk at times with large amounts of cash in my wallet, and *hopefully* not scare girls away when I tell them where I live. Wikipedia did say this..."The city is currently listed as the most dangerous city with more than 500,000 by the Morgan Quitno's statistics"

I'm not actually scared of big cities, as I grew up around DC, and went to college in downtown Atlanta. I'm also pretty cocky, so in reality I'm scared a LOT less than I should be.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to hang out at bars with young people in a decent-sized town, Ann Arbor is your best bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems like pretty solid advice.

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps for you, downtown Royal Oak or downtown Birmingham

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking that this would be viable depending on the Craigslist postings. If I find a sweet place in Royal Oak, it might outweigh living in Ann Arbor. Or vice versa.

[ QUOTE ]
There is actual nightlife, and restaurants downtown again, and they are thriving. It has a beautiful river and across it is Windsor, Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm. These are the initial reasons why I considered living in Detroit in the first place. I like the "big city" variety and choice, along with the history. I also like college girls. Life is full of difficult choices....

Seriously, thanks for the great advice so far
Old 07-09-2006, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grosse Ile is the safest city in the state about 20 minutes south of Detroit. I used to live there. It's an island with dual bridges one free and one toll. About 2 miles wide and 8 miles long in the Detroit river. The adjacent city is Trenton which is the 2nd safest in terms of crime rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

where did you find those stats? while i agree Grosse Ille is safe, I thought Troy was the safest, and no way in hell that redneck Trenton is the 2nd safest. sorry to hijack, just hate to see blatant lies in posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rednecks? In Trenton? Troy? I used to live in Troy, no [censored] way it has less crime than Trenton.

[/ QUOTE ]

where in Troy did you live? I lived there from 1985 to 2000. My parents still live there.

Troy, MI is fine. Or Bloomfield Hills. But don't get me wrong, Troy and Bloomfield people are VERY far from bad mfers.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Troy was the safest

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

So Troy is really safe? How is it there? I know someone who lives there and he thinks he is the toughest mfer on earth. He used to threaten me over the internet constantly. I Google Earthed his address and his house was HUGE. I no longer respect his gangsta at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, I used to live in Troy, MI, and I object. I'd like to challenge you to an online war of words, and please see this as a threat. I am one bad MFer.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:00 AM

Delete the email so you don't have to move.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:12 PM

FWIW, I live in Troy right now and couldnt be happier (except for the fact that I live in Michigan rather than SoCal now). Its somewhat more suburban than maybe you are looking for though.

Ann Arbor is awesome, and if I could I would live there, but my commute would be sucky. Downtown is cool and most of the bars there tend to be frequented by grad school/upper level students rather than the frat boys.

Royal Oak and Birmingham are also younger, fun areas to be. Grosse Point, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills and Troy definitely trend towards family areas more than young college girl infested areas.