Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: New guy downstairs is a huge doosh. Advice please.

[ QUOTE ]
I want to own him so bad with my amp. I'd love to see what he says when he comes up to complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

what the [censored] are you waiting for?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also should point out that the music is on non-stop when he's home. I'm not kidding. It never ends. He never takes an off day. This white boy loves bass music like no other.

I want to own him so bad with my amp. I'd love to see what he says when he comes up to complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

He won't. He'll just turn up his music and respect you less. Go to the management or call the cops, whichever you think will scare him more.

NT
Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and the new guy who moved in downstairs about 1.5 months ago basically is a doosh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have told landlord/called police/etc. about 1.4 months ago. The last apartment complex I was in, the management was basically useless, so I had to call the cops. Then the guy managed to turn off his stuff just as the cops came, and so they couldn't do anything about it.

Running out of options, I ended up pegging his schedule (going to work/coming home) down to the minute (hey, I have summers off), I bought some lockpicking tools, broke into his place right as he drove off to work, cut off the wire leads to his sub (so I didn't really damage anything), and the moron didn't even notice, and I was able to live in peace. Did I break the law? Yea. Do I regret it? Hell no.

Anyway the complex I'm in now is good. A stupid kid who lived next door played catch with a football with his friend conveniently RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY DOOR, so every so often there'd be a THUD of the football hitting my door.... then a few minutes later, THUD. Then the kids laughing. I told the kids to cut it out. They didn't. So I called the landlord about the problem, and they immediately called the parents of the kid and warned eviction if it continued, and the kids have found something more quiet to do.

I don't consider myself hugely intolerant of people, and what they do for fun. But anytime what they do bothers me in my home, then I sure as hell ain't going to waste any time trying to stop it.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:37 PM

find out the policy in your specific apartment. My apartment basically has some sort of quiet hours rule after 9 or 10pm, but always being quiet in general.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 PM

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet by all of the legal types.

Report him to management. Tell management that you're not going to pay rent as long as your "quiet enjoyment" of your residence is being denied. They'll know what that means and they will try to get him to stop. And if he doesn't, then don't pay your rent.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You clearly didn't read the OP. This wouldn't help me much since I don't have fire insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Renter's insurance is around $10/mo (at least where I live, in Austin, TX) for $10k in coverage...
Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what would happen? He would just turn his music up, not give a [censored], and make you look like a [censored].
Old 06-30-2006, 12:10 AM

Get a 50lb (round) weightlifting plate. Spin it around on your floor like a quarter when he's trying to sleep. It'll sound somewhat like a freight train running through his apartment. After a couple nights of that, he'll STFU and stop the late night annoyance routine.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:50 AM

OP is too hesitant to get management involved.

Being afraid of nasty looks when you go to the parking-lot really doesn't cut it as an excuse imo.
You've already confronted him multiple times so the 'nasty looks' thing may be starting already.

Tell management that you have told him 4x to keep it down and that hasn't even included the times that you didn't even bother confronting him and you just tried to put ear-plugs in.

Management can tell him 'no more loud bass'. PERIOD!
You can tell management that you don't want to bring in police involvement but you will if you have to because it's happening constantly.

He's not responding to your reasonable requests. What the hell else do you think you SHOULD do?
Break into his place?
Threaten to fight him?
Just contact management already. That's what they're there for.

If it was me that was there and if it was THAT loud THAT consistently I would have gotten management involved much earlier.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:06 AM

If I was management, the threat of losing a good tenant because of a bad tenant would be enough for me to take action. If you threaten to refuse to renew your lease unless the problem stops, they will probably do something, unless they are totally incompetent. Vacancy rate is one of the major stats they worry about in property management. If they don't seem to care, then find out who their manager is and work up.