Saving Private Ryan 130 94.89%
1941 7 5.11%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Re: ***Official United States vs Ghana Thread***

Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:05 PM

I have to work till 12 IOSdhgshguiadguadhfgkdljfhdufgh[aefbueifgedfb.

plan: work till 12. go home with the radio off to prevent any slightest possibility of finding out. watch game, pretending it's live. Do not access any internet until it is over. do a goal dance for any US goals. Profit.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:29 PM

I just hope nobody notices when I sneak out of work for 2 hours
Old 06-21-2006, 11:48 PM

Betfair odds to qualify:
Italy 1.18
Ghana 1.69
Czech 2.4
USA 6.4

So for USA & Czechs to go through, USA have to make up a goal difference of 5, a 15-1 long shot, but that would be sweet.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:12 AM

I hope it's okay to discuss the Czech Rep./Italy match in here, too, since my point relates to the USA match.

Beating Ghana will be tough enough, but the Americans will be fighting the fact that the Italians aren't likely to extend themselves too much. A draw is all they need to get through to the second round; the only way they can get into trouble is by losing. Particularly considering how conservative the Azzuri style has been, Italy playing for a draw seems likely. And with Koller and his replacement, Lokvenc, both out, it seems relatively easily attainable. Baros may actually play for the Czechs, but who knows how fit and in form he will be?

Finishing atop the group and avoiding Brazil are certainly carrots, but I don't think they are enough of an incentive for the Italians to put too much at risk.

The Czechs have more reason to push for a victory, but with injuries and suspensions, they may be hard-pressed for goals. Furthermore, if it looks like the U.S. are in control, they certainly won't look too hard for the victory if it means leaving themselves vulnerable.

My big fear as a U.S. supporter (other than not beating Ghana) is getting up a goal or two early in the second half while the other match is still tied, and then having the two European sides just knock the ball around for 45 minutes, earning a listless draw and sending them both through.

Just something I was thinking about today.

As for the U.S. match itself...I haven't seen much of Ghana, but they seem to be an aggressive team. A counter-attacking style, using their team speed against them, would be the best strategy, but it's hard to be patient when three points are an absolute necessity and you may need four or five goals, as well. I think both teams have to come out swinging, which would certainly make for an entertaining game.

Has there been any word on our lineup? Everything I've heard says that O'Brien's fitness is a factor, which suggests to me that Reyna moves to a defensive midfield position and Donovan drops back to attackign midfield (which everyone thinks should happen anyway). In that scenario, who to start up front becomes an interesting question. It's easy to say Young Eddie Johnson gets the nod because he was clearly our most (and only) dangerous player against the Czechs, but Arena has seemed reticent to give him a start. I've got to believe that the reason is that Eddie hasn ever played a full 90 minutes at the international level (has he? I couldn't think of a time that he had). If we can only use him for a fraction of a game, I'd rather have his fresh legs for 45 minutes against tired defenders than for 60 minutes against fresh defenders, particularly since starting him gives us no real firepower to come in against fatigued defenders.

-McGee
Old 06-22-2006, 12:35 AM

a) Czech will have absolutely no reason to just kick the ball around. They don't want to face Brazil either, and if Ital is sitting on their heels, the Czechs will attack them.

b) Donovan has played attacking midfield all WC with McBride starting up front both games. Taking him out would be a mistake.

My guess would be
Boca-Cherundolo-Gooch-Conrad
Donovan-Convey-Reyna-Dempsey-O'Brien
McBride

The only thing I could see different, is that if he went attacking, and played a 4-4-2 with Johnson in for O'Brien, but I don't see how that could happen.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My big fear as a U.S. supporter (other than not beating Ghana) is getting up a goal or two early in the second half while the other match is still tied, and then having the two European sides just knock the ball around for 45 minutes, earning a listless draw and sending them both through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but my head tells me that the carrot of being in an easy quarter of the bracket vs. being Brazil's sacrificial lamb should keep Italy sufficiently engaged early.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:42 AM

mmb,

your last suggestion with johnson in for o'brien i believe is the correct choice. I think there's a not insignificant chance that Lewis starts over bocanegra, but that would upset me.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a) Czech will have absolutely no reason to just kick the ball around. They don't want to face Brazil either, and if Ital is sitting on their heels, the Czechs will attack them.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the start, absolutely. But as the match wears on, if it looks like the U.S. will triumph, the Czechs will be perfectly happy with a tie. Avoiding Brazil -- who haven't looked sharp -- is the second priority, behind qualifying for the second round.

[ QUOTE ]
b) Donovan has played attacking midfield all WC with McBride starting up front both games. Taking him out would be a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

McBride and Donovan played up front together, at least in the Czech Rep. match (I missed the first couple of minutes of the Italy match), unless I am very much mistaken. Reyna played attacking midfield and Mastroeni played defensive midfield. I'm not suggesting Arena take Donovan out of the lineup; just shuffle him around.

-McGee
Old 06-22-2006, 12:51 AM

Eh, it seemed to me both matches were pretty much a 4-1-4-1 setup, if you can call it that, with Mastroeni kinda playing between the mid and back lines. It was much more pronounced in the Italy game though.