Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 01:42 AM

Default Re: ***Official Mexico vs Iran Thread***

I got money on Iran too. They are acutally pretty good and Mexico blows.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:47 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how Mexico got a #1 seed, considering they finished below the US in qualifying, are ranked below us, lost to us in the last WC, have never been out of the 2nd round, and haven't beaten us outside of Mexico City in a decade. Seems like a joke really.

I'm thinking a 1-1 draw, but something like 1-0 or 2-1 to either side seems reasonable. Iran seems like a good bet at the current odds.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:48 AM

I'm trying to come up with a reason why the lines on this game seem so amazing, and the only thing I can come up with is maybe Iranians are discouraged so much from gambling that it's not getting the usual homer bets that most teams get. Or are we all just overrating Iran?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:53 AM

We aren't overrating Iran. We just think it has a lot of value because they can easily win this game and we are getting great odds.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:52 AM

History is what Iran is playing against here. This is only their 4th (?) World Cup and they have won only one match, a 2-1 win over the US in '98. Also, historically, Asian teams havent had a lot of success in the WC, many times their first look at world-class competition comes when they reach the finals. Mexico, meanwhile, are World Cup veterans with a lot of experience and multiple forays out of the first round. They should be the favorite, IMO

But...according to everyone I've talked to who follows Iranian football, this is their best team ever. They've got good strikers in Daei and Karimi, but I'd be a little worried about their defense. They're a fun team to watch, though, and I like their chances of at least picking up a point in this one.

Edit: just saw that Karimi is technically a midfielder, but he does have 33 international goals.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:10 AM

Iranians may not be able to gamble in Iran but get them over the UK and they are some of the biggest gamblers going, the pros at the vic in London love to see the Iranians in.

I think its more that people dont fancy them, most of us Europeans havent seen as much as you guys have so maybe overate them.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Iranians may not be able to gamble in Iran but get them over the UK and they are some of the biggest gamblers going

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Just look at the roster for High Stakes Poker on GSN.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:17 AM

I meant we havent seen Mexico as much as you guys if they were in your qualifying group.

I've put a little lay against mexico will look to hopefully close out the position as the game goes on.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 AM

my two cents: don't get overeager betting on iran.

mexico will be tough.

am looking forward to this game and will be rooting hard for the mexicans!

i hate them when we play them but root for them otherwise.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:43 AM

The only time I've seen Mexico since '02 is when the US beat them 2-0 in the prelim round late last year. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone outside of Asia who has actually seen Iran play. For that reason, it's tough to predict with any certainty what exactly is going to happen in this one.

We do know that Iran went into Croatia and pulled out a 2-2 tie recently. They also beat Costa Rica 3-2 and crushed Bosnia/Herzegovina 5-2. They've also got several players who play for club teams in Germany (Karimi, Mhedevikia).

Mexico has lost their last 2 friendlies to Holland and France, both by one goal and both on the road. I don't think you can read too much into these results. By all accounts they're a very good team and should be a clear favorite in this game.