Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: The Dealer Was Wrong To Begin With

Tom stop talking so much dammit.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Photoc, I don't think there's any question that it was intentional. That's not the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the issue is, that lately everytime someone has the slightest thing happen or see something happen we get this huge report of every detail and so on. Like it's ever going to really matter in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the issue is that you continually hate on threads that don't interest you. No one is forcing you to read them.

Sometimes people go to B&M's and things that are abnormal or crazy or whatever happen and they want to talk about them. The B&M forum is WHERE THIS HAPPENS.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No, the issue is that you continually hate on threads that don't interest you. No one is forcing you to read them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're wrong here. This thread did interest me as I thought there might be something more to it, then it just degernated into yet "dealer should just do their job" thread and no one is posting anything new. There is so much dealer hating on these boards that it's really just getting old. Yes, there are some dealers who really suck balls in the box, and there are some others that are very good. But typtical mentality is..."all dealers are morons and a monkey could do this job" on here is just getting old, really. Everyone knows what the dealer should and shouldn't do. Do we really need 20 threads a day to reiterate it?

[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes people go to B&M's and things that are abnormal or crazy or whatever happen and they want to talk about them. The B&M forum is WHERE THIS HAPPENS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently so.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The dealer was 100% wrong if he even thought he should be "taking revenge" on the player for the above incident. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get off saying that is was intentional? There was no where in the OP that he said it was 100% instentional. You weren't there and dealing the game, don't pass judgement as it could have been 100% accident. What if the dealer heard a player ask to see the hand and the OP didn't? Just because the dealer supposedly said "sorry"? That doesn't mean someone didn't ask. Seems no one has thought about that one in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to say it was intentional; sorry if that wasn't clear. Maybe it was intentional, maybe it wasn't; I have no idea which.

In any event, the dealer should not have even harbored thoughts of "revenge" (again, not saying he did harbor such thoughts). The reason the dealer is wrong regardless is because he should not have put the deck down and stopped everything in order to answer an extraneous question. The dealer actually invited the remark from the player by deviating from proper dealing procedure, whether the dealer realized it or not. That doesn't give the player the green light to be an ass to the dealer, but it does put the entire incident in something of a different light: technically speaking, the player was right and the dealer was wrong.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason the dealer is wrong regardless is because he should not have put the deck down and stopped everything in order to answer an extraneous question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he should have....

[ QUOTE ]
and it is time for a deck change. The dealer takes out the new deck, and as he does, the player in seat 2 asks the dealer if he knows how many people are in the tournament. The dealer puts down the deck,

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to put the deck down to wash and begin shuffling, so no matter what, the deck was hitting the felt. This was a deck change remember.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how everyone holds dealers up to this standard of Princes and chivalrist noblemen.

Have you ever had bad service with a waiter? Did you live? Did you write a 4 paragraph paper on how wrong it is?

Did he spit in your food? Are you sure?

I once dealt a guy out four hands in a row because he wouldn't put his chips anywhere NEAR where I could reach. He used the whole "I don't speak English line" so unfortunately he couldn't tell me he got dealt out, again, and again.... and again. This miserable guy at the other end of the table almost died of a heart attack when he realized what was going on and called the floor, the floor held back his laughter and talked to the guy.

My boss must speak Chinese or somethin cuz those antes where right on that line every single time.

The guy had a habit of breaking tables up with his body odor, not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

The players should put their chips where the dealer can reach them, period. If you ask a player once and they deliberately keep placing their chips improperly, call the floor. If a player still persists the floor should bar him for a week at least.

It isn't too much to ask that both players and dealers do what they're supposed to (almost) all the time. Nobody's perfect, but a lot of BOTH dealers and players don't even make an effort. I say fire their asses and bar the bums [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The reason the dealer is wrong regardless is because he should not have put the deck down and stopped everything in order to answer an extraneous question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he should have....

[ QUOTE ]
and it is time for a deck change. The dealer takes out the new deck, and as he does, the player in seat 2 asks the dealer if he knows how many people are in the tournament. The dealer puts down the deck,

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to put the deck down to wash and begin shuffling, so no matter what, the deck was hitting the felt. This was a deck change remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer didn't need to stop everything and gaze around the room in order to respond to the question. How hard would it have been to glance around the room while washing the cards, and to respond to the player while gathering the cards up or riffling? That would have been the natural and efficient way to have done it.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:42 PM

A cardroom dealer is just a tool. Some are sharp, most are dull.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The dealer didn't need to stop everything and gaze around the room in order to respond to the question. How hard would it have been to glance around the room while washing the cards, and to respond to the player while gathering the cards up or riffling? That would have been the natural and efficient way to have done it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this is all perception. It probably wasn't a 10 second pause like the OP thought it was, but it could have been. It could also have taken about 1-2 seconds to quickly look around the room. Again, perception. Why do people think stop lights take 5 minutes when in reality it may take 30 seconds for a full red? Same thing.

Btw, as a dealer, you NEVER take your eyes off the deck while shuffling. That I had instilled in me back in my pit dealing days. That is probably why he didn't do it while shuffling.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this is all perception. It probably wasn't a 10 second pause like the OP thought it was, but it could have been. It could also have taken about 1-2 seconds to quickly look around the room. Again, perception. Why do people think stop lights take 5 minutes when in reality it may take 30 seconds for a full red? Same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ten seconds = needless delay of game, whereas a second or two = tolerable, if imperfect. I agree that the OP does not give a complete picture, though my impression from the OP was that it was more than a negligible delay.

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, as a dealer, you NEVER take your eyes off the deck while shuffling. That I had instilled in me back in my pit dealing days. That is probably why he didn't do it while shuffling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe in the pit. Not in poker, though. Poker dealers should *not* watch their hands or the cards while riffling. This is because to do so affords extra opportunities for an unscrupulous dealer to engage in chicanery. Also, the riffle should be relatively quiet, and not lifted too high.