Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Should I tip the cable guy?

[ QUOTE ]
I always wondered... is it just a switch or something? If so, why can't we just go outside and flip it. Wouldn't the actual cable company operators or whoever is billing know that we aren't being charged the correct price?

I can see this kind of stuff happening when cable was new... but now with technology and every company striving to be efficient, I just don't see how stuff like this is still possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, there used to be these 'bridging cables' that was used to hook you up to all the extra channels. Cable guys used to periodically check to see that the 'box' was set up properly.

Now I have digital cable w/HD and it seems like everything can be monitored from the main office.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Should I tip the cable guy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always wondered... is it just a switch or something? If so, why can't we just go outside and flip it. Wouldn't the actual cable company operators or whoever is billing know that we aren't being charged the correct price?

I can see this kind of stuff happening when cable was new... but now with technology and every company striving to be efficient, I just don't see how stuff like this is still possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, there used to be these 'bridging cables' that was used to hook you up to all the extra channels. Cable guys used to periodically check to see that the 'box' was set up properly.

Now I have digital cable w/HD and it seems like everything can be monitored from the main office.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well obviously back in the day it was possible because there were "blackboxes" and such. I guess it was in the cable box or something that could unlock the channels?

But is anyone actually getting the goods without paying for it today?