Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Preakness Picks

What was the finish order? I just got home and nothing on the sites has it, just the winner.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The slo-mo replay was brutal watching his hoof flop around like that. Second worst thing to see at a track (only thing worse is to see them go head over and die right there).

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Kentucky and it was awful when the local news kept showing clips of Up an Octave going down and over his jockey John Velazquez at Keeneland. So horrifying to watch.

[ QUOTE ]
What was the finish order? I just got home and nothing on the sites has it, just the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernardini
Sweetnorthernsaint
Hemingway's Key
Brother Derek
Old 05-20-2006, 06:59 PM

ty
Old 05-20-2006, 07:00 PM

sweetnorthernsaint took 2nd and i think Like Now took 3rd
Old 05-20-2006, 07:04 PM

This just in. My local news said Xrays have been done and it's a break below and above the ankle. A critical injury that will require major surgery. Tests are still being done to see if it effects the blood supply to decide if the injury is life threatening.

Thoroughbred race horses are beautiful and fast but they can be so fragile.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:06 PM

My old man hit a 1$ trifecta, 1927$ at farimount park in illinois. bastard.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This just in. My local news said Xrays have been done and it's a break below and above the ankle. A critical injury that will require major surgery. Tests are still being done to see if it effects the blood supply to decide if the injury is life threatening.

Thoroughbred race horses are beautiful and fast but they can be so fragile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Several comments need some further info. About greater effort being expended because the horses are more valuable now, that is false. To be sure, there are some technical advances since Ruffian (which was about 30 yrs ago.)

First of all, the major problem is the blood supply of the hoof and foot. If that is compromised to the point that adequate blood supply doesn't get to the foot, there is really nothing that can be done short of euthanasia. And even at surgery they may not have the complete answer to this. It may not be clear until several days later.

Another problem, and the one that lead to Ruffian's death, was horses act in unpredictable ways when coming out of anesthesia. Actually on her first surgery, Ruffian had quite a satisfactory repair of her injury, as I understand it, but she went kind of berserk as she awakened, thrashing about and tearing out most of what had been done. A second attempt at surgery was much more complicated, and it didn't work out and she was euthanized.

The other thing that can happen is the horse may founder in several ways when immobilized, and if that happens, it's curtains.

I would say it is touch and go for this colt, and it may be several days before we could be certain he was out of the woods. I can not imagine him ever running in a race again.

As sad as most are on this forum, believe me when I tell you that the people inside racing are sadder. Most of them love horses and lead pretty tough lives in exchange for the pleasure of being around horses.

Have you ever seen a classier guy than Michael Matz?

So sad...

bill c
Old 05-20-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I presume we have advanced from the days where a horse's stud fees were peanuts, and even a champion was hardly worth saving.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're sick.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:55 PM

Bill C -

Nice post, it was very informative for horse racing noobs like myself. I have always heard about putting horses down after a big injury, but was never clear on why that path was taken.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:39 AM

I posted my picks on here, yet after working midnights and not waking up in time to go to the nearest OTB 15 minutes away, I decided to sit down and enjoy the race as a fan of the game, and not as a gambler. Words do not begin to describe the painful silence in my house where my father and I watched the Preakness. We make it a yearly tradition to go to Saratoga together, and really enjoy the sport. I couldn't begin to tell you who was more upset about Barbaro potentially losing his life today. The connections are the best group of guys in the biz, and my heart goes out to them.