Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: SAVE ONLINE POKER

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You might find congressmen not wanting to take side yet, but I doubt you will ever find one dumb enough to say something positive about gambling (ok, maybe in Nevada, but they are all lunatics over there already).

[/ QUOTE ]

Barney Frank is on our side. God, I never thought I would say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the guy running against Barney Frank, Church Morse, a republican (my old party disgusts me)

Q: What separates you from Congressman Frank?

A: Philosophically, we're very different. He believes in big government and big taxes. I believe in limited government and tax cuts. He gets very libertarian when it comes to social issues, like gambling and drugs. I'm much more conservative and think those things should be left up to the states and that we should protect our citizens, especially children, from those things.

MY NOTE: How do the Republicans keep saying smaller government, it is apparent to everyone this is false.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You might find congressmen not wanting to take side yet, but I doubt you will ever find one dumb enough to say something positive about gambling (ok, maybe in Nevada, but they are all lunatics over there already).

[/ QUOTE ]

Barney Frank is on our side. God, I never thought I would say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the guy running against Barney Frank, Church Morse, a republican (my old party disgusts me)

Q: What separates you from Congressman Frank?

A: Philosophically, we're very different. He believes in big government and big taxes. I believe in limited government and tax cuts. He gets very libertarian when it comes to social issues, like gambling and drugs. I'm much more conservative and think those things should be left up to the states and that we should protect our citizens, especially children, from those things.

MY NOTE: How do the Republicans keep saying smaller government, it is apparent to everyone this is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's not apparent. Or else they wouldn't get away with saying it. The 50%-55% of the population eligible to vote actually votes, and of that 80% of them are either Republican loyalists or Bush haters.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is in poker u win money from other people. Including the rake poker is -EV for the average player, and poker remove millions of $$ from the " normal economy ".

[/ QUOTE ]

That's America's fault for not letting our companies compete in this marketplace.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:55 PM

bump
Old 05-11-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I plan on ignoring any legislation against online poker if it comes to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty bold.. if this passes, they will know where you are getting your money from. Your checking account will be an open book to the government. And it will be a felony offense, right? I think the best solution, seriously, would be to move to Thailand or some other cheap country.

[/ QUOTE ]

As i understand it, the current legislation being pushed would only inhibit one's abilties to deposit into the off-shore sites.
Is there some other legislation now being pushed that I don't know about? (I haven't been keeping up with things in the legislation forum).

I really don't think it would be very easy for the government to come after you as a player.

There are very few people who are given any hassle for betting on sports for example. But the bookies who accept these illegal bets are the ones who receive the hassle.

The paranoia that 'the government is going to get me' if you make bets online is unwarranted imo.

Allyn Jaffrey Shulman of CardPlayer wrote 'A Comprehensive Analysis of the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act' that is quite good. It also reinforces my ideas about the paranoia surrounding this bill being somewhat unwarranted.

It's a very good article and I encourage everyone to take the time to read it (it is quite long).
card player article