Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Correct call or not?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shove pre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shove 4k into an 1000 pot with Jack high? Not bad I suppose, but why? What aren't we shoving if we're shoving J-high?

[/ QUOTE ]

JT has about 10% more equity against most ranges compared to J3. So we aren't just shoving 'jack high' but a semi-decent hand.

As for the hand, I think shoving/checking pre-flop are both OK, and one might be better than the other depending on the villian and your image. I would lean towards getting it in pre though.

Flop shove, duh.

On the turn, your range looks OK and you easily have equity to call. Smack yourself for not jamming the flop but shove it in now.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Correct call? No, shove flop - calling here is leading to trouble. Flush draw possible and when Ah lands, well that makes it a very bold call. If you think you are in front with a marginal hand or drawy board then shove 'em - check /push if in position to maybe get a bit more in - if your opponent calls with a draw then at least it's him putiing his chips in whilst behind - if he hits thats tough.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correct call? No, shove flop - calling here is leading to trouble. Flush draw possible and when Ah lands, well that makes it a very bold call. If you think you are in front with a marginal hand or drawy board then shove 'em - check /push if in position to maybe get a bit more in - if your opponent calls with a draw then at least it's him putiing his chips in whilst behind - if he hits thats tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, and I'm not trying to single anyone out, but posts like these aren't contributing anything. The OP has stated several times he knows he should have pushed the flop. Also, I've shown some mathematical analysis that shows the turn call is correct from a EV standpoint. For all intensive purposes, each street has been dissected and discussed several times in this thread and various options have been weighed. Posts like these tacked onto the end that basically say exactly what is listed in the previous posts aren't helpful. Please read the whole thread before posting! If everyone did this, half the posts on here would not exist. Don't worry about your post count, the purpose of this site is to improve at poker.