FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Pat Tillman

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"He said this over and over again until he stopped."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say so if he lost his dome.

I've never been big on Pat Tillman. I got respect for the guy, but no more or no less than any other soldier who has ever fought for our country. I think the whole Pat Tillman thing is all overblown since there's not much we can hold high from this war.

/end political talk

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably a pretty great battle to fight. I would bet that you are a really smart guy.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably a pretty great battle to fight. I would bet that you are a really smart guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to say something, then say it. Don't go pussyfooting around it in a sarcastic way.

http://www.iraqwarheroes.com/index.htm

^ Not one of those people is anything less than Pat Tillman. Why do we continue to blow up Pat Tillman and not Jeremy Christensen, Steven Langmack, Charles Matheny, etc? These people gave up just as big a part of their life as Pat Tillman giving up football was.

I understand that Tillman is a "big name" but sometimes, it seems like he's the only one who gave up something for his country. His sacrafices are no more than the 1k+ that have died in Iraq & Afghan. Just because they didn't play in the NFL doesn't mean they aren't just as important.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because they didn't play in the NFL doesn't mean they aren't just as important.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think they are important, maybe you should try to learn what makes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan different.
I'll give you a hint, the U.S. had a good reason for one of them.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because they didn't play in the NFL doesn't mean they aren't just as important.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think they are important, maybe you should try to learn what makes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan different.
I'll give you a hint, the U.S. had a good reason for one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

While that site's url says Iraq, it's not just Iraq. Also, just because you might believe Afghan was just and Iraq wasn't doesn't mean the soldiers who died in Afghan hold anymore higher value than soldiers in Iraq.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to say something, then say it. Don't go pussyfooting around it in a sarcastic way.

http://www.iraqwarheroes.com/index.htm

^ Not one of those people is anything less than Pat Tillman. Why do we continue to blow up Pat Tillman and not Jeremy Christensen, Steven Langmack, Charles Matheny, etc? These people gave up just as big a part of their life as Pat Tillman giving up football was.

I understand that Tillman is a "big name" but sometimes, it seems like he's the only one who gave up something for his country. His sacrafices are no more than the 1k+ that have died in Iraq & Afghan. Just because they didn't play in the NFL doesn't mean they aren't just as important.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying. But let me ask a question. Would you give up a high profile job in the NFL worth MILLIONS of dollars to go to Afgahnistan? Or maybe you will relate to this better... Would you stand up and leave the final table of the WSOP to fight in Afgahnistan? Keep in mind, this is voluntary, not mandatory.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:04 AM

I don't think you do understand what I'm saying. Who cares that he gave up millions of dollars? You telling me that <insert name> who left his wife and 2 young kids, who left his crappy steel worker job is anything less than Pat Tillman?

Please, oh please, don't tell me yes.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being extremely obvious isn't enough?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you do understand what I'm saying. Who cares that he gave up millions of dollars? You telling me that <insert name> who left his wife and 2 young kids, who left his crappy steel worker job is anything less than Pat Tillman?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that you could walk away from millions in money to fight a war? My point is that not a lot of people could do that.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:26 AM

You seem hung up on this whole millions of dollars thing. If anything, it's harder for that steel worker to leave his job and his family behind to fend for themselves (while wartime pay is decent, it's nothing great and not usually enough for a family to live on alone).
Old 05-29-2006, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that you could walk away from millions in money to fight a war? My point is that not a lot of people could do that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mr. Tillman made the decision to give up a very well paying job to go to war. Nothing more, nothing less. Is this more "honorable" or praiseworthy than a coal miner from Virginia leaving his wife and children or a kid from Detroit that enlists so he can go to college? Who cares? They all ultimately weighed the costs and the benefits for themselves, and they paid with their life. Whoever made more money is irrelevant.

I wouldn't do what he did. I wouldn't do what any of those soldiers did. I respect him for that. I don't feel he is or was any more or less special than anyone else who has fought and died in foreign service.

That's all I'll add unless this gets moved to politics.