Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: PLO 25 - Did I play this wrap correctly

[ QUOTE ]
So how did you come up with the 30 and 29? I know I am missing something here and once I get it I will be a force to be reconked with at the table lol.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Janelle - Good questions. Essential questions.

There are 52 cards in the deck. You see four in your hand and another three on the flop. 52-4-3=45. There are always 45 cards whose location is unknown. (You can sometimes reduce this with some clever assumptions, but that's another story).

Then to get to the two parts losers to one part winners ratio you need to have pot odds to call a pot sized bet, divide the 45 by 3. (The three comes from 2+1).

45/3 = 15 and then 15*2 = 30.

At any rate, that's where the 30 comes from.

And then 30/15 is the fraction such that the numerator is twice as big as the denominator and such that the numerator and the denominator add up to 45.

I'm sure you know that the numerator is the number on top of a fraction and the denominator is the number on the bottom of a fraction.

You probably had a math teacher somewhere before you even got to high school who told you to reduce fractions or get rid of fractions if you could, but sometimes, as here, it's handy to build them.

If you understand that 30/15 fraction shown above, then the turn reduces the number of cards whose locations are unknown to 44. But if the turn didn't help you, then the number of cards that don't help you is reduced from 30 to 29. (And if the turn card doesn't reduce your outs, the denominator stays at 15).

At any rate, that's where the 29 comes from. And then 29/15= the 1.93 Elrazor cited for the turn. See it?

The math approximations are simpler for Texas hold 'em because if you're drawing for a flush and make it, you usually have a winner even if the board pairs. But that's not nearly true in Omaha, where you should at least be aware that if the board pairs there is a serious possibility an opponent has made a full house!

Poker Monkey uses the other principal math method, computing equity. I'm using the odds method here, because I thought the odds method would be easier for you to understand than equity, and it's a jiffy, nifty way to do the calculations to see if you have the odds on your side or not under actual game conditions, but sometimes I use equities. Either way will work. Do whatever works for you.

This all is difficult to explain because I don't know exactly where you are with understanding the math and knowing the terms involved. And people sometimes get turned off to math in early school. But the math involved here is honestly not very difficult.

Buzz
Old 09-25-2007, 05:29 PM

TY Buzz, I think I understand it now... the 30 is all the losing cards in the deck that could hit and the 15 is all the winners for me.. which as one person mentioned may be less if you discount the flush making cards.

So in my case I had 13 outs which means there are 32 losing cards and 13 winners. Which you can just look at and see is better odds than the 3.8 so therefore it is worth the call... but if I subtract out the flush cards in those 13 then I only have 10 outs but I would still have better than the odds I need so it is worth the river call at that point.

So this would be a +EV push on the river the majority of the time. GOT IT!

I'd buy you a beer if I could but I can't buy beer yet LOL.
Thanks that was very helpful!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:30 PM

TY Elrazor found it.. took a while to find that hand! Guess it is best to look at it soon after you play it!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Hi Janelle - You're welcome. I think you've got it.

I wish I could still drink beer, but I haven't had any since my heart operation. My cardiologist says all alcohol is a no no for me, and I do what he tells me to do.

Buzz
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 PM

Good, you should always do what the doctor says and not what he does. Take care of yourself Buzz! Tys for the help.