Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Is this a leak?

and he got it in as a dog, and lost the hand.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PR,

Stacks are better set-up for a c-bet, three bet AI rather than a checkraise. Your check raise is a big overbet and therefore kinda looks like what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not betting this flop is a huge leak...u want to get it in on this flop every time, bet(pot-sized)/3bet is your only play here. As played, your shove looks like what it is, but you have so much equity against his range that you shouldn't really care.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and he got it in as a dog, and lost the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented much?

Actually, I much rather prefer check/raising all-in in a tournament than in a cash game. In a cash game, 2-pair never calls this bet and we are always getting the worst of it. In a tournament, players call with all sorts of crap, and we have tons of equity.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 AM

What happens if it checks around and a blank comes on the turn?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I suppose we just got a free card to our draw, heaven forbid?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 AM

Standard
Old 08-21-2007, 10:33 AM

I haven't read the thread but do whatever you can to get all of your chips into the middle on the flop and be happy.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 PM

I shove this all day long if I know i can get it called. I probably just lead out but I can see C/Ring and shove the turn... but Ya I'm excited with this hand to say the least. Ef worrying about a set... wtf?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I suppose we just got a free card to our draw, heaven forbid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a well informed answer to my question about strategy.

The original question asked was "is this a leak?" followed by how the hand would be played if a 2h came instead of a 9h. If the 2h came instead of the 9h the check/shove would be easier to call from a set of tens. If villain even has something like AJ it's a near coinflip. I could also make the argument that AJ would have trouble calling here because of a potential overpair since hero raised utg, but not a set of tens.

While the later responses cream over such a powerful drawing hand, there is never a discussion if the play is a leak. Clearly it is a leak because a play like this pretty much advertises your hand and in all likelihood you will only get called by 2 pair or better. In this case a set.

[ QUOTE ]
I shove this all day long if I know i can get it called. I probably just lead out but I can see C/Ring and shove the turn... but Ya I'm excited with this hand to say the least. Ef worrying about a set... wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, please tell me when your book deal is official.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a well informed answer to my question about strategy.

The original question asked was "is this a leak?" followed by how the hand would be played if a 2h came instead of a 9h. If the 2h came instead of the 9h the check/shove would be easier to call from a set of tens. If villain even has something like AJ it's a near coinflip. I could also make the argument that AJ would have trouble calling here because of a potential overpair since hero raised utg, but not a set of tens.

While the later responses cream over such a powerful drawing hand, there is never a discussion if the play is a leak. Clearly it is a leak because a play like this pretty much advertises your hand and in all likelihood you will only get called by 2 pair or better. In this case a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is so retarded about your responses is that you are ignoring the fact that you are getting all of the money in as a favorite. Even if you are only getting called by 2 pair or better you have 48% equity in the hand with your draw.

Board: 9h Tc Jh
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 48.000% 47.60% 00.40% 30157 256.00 { AhQh }
Hand 1: 52.000% 51.60% 00.40% 32691 256.00 { JJ-99, KQs, J9s+, T9s, 87s, KQo, J9o+, T9o, 87o }

And since we can just about promise ourselves that some other hands will be calling too (see my other post for a more accurate range) we are a favorite. You have to play your hand against the opponents range not against only the best hands he could have. I think not getting your money in as a favorite is a leak!

BTW I still think that taking this down right here is also good. There is nothing wrong with leading but c/ring is also very acceptable and in the end as long as the chips got in there is no difference.