Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: 15 FTP Pros in 500K today

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a lose-lose proposition for paying players. The 500K Guarantee always oversells, and so these guys truly are getting a free ride on FTP profits, profits which paying players create.

The most key point is that if any of the FTP pros cashes that subtracts from the monies split-up between cashing players who paid buy-ins.

A side point is that any time one of these guys is at your table, you're life is made more difficult because (1) they tend to be very good players and (2) they have zero financial risk (other than their time) and so they can play an aggressive style more easily than others (on average).

A side point is that most of these FTP Pros are financially quite well off, so why should they get a free ride ? Why not randomly select FTP members for a free ride ?

I don't see what a lot of these guys add to my tournament experience. Who cares if you play with / bust-out Jim McManus or Toto Leonidas or one of the Sexton kids ?

It's just pure cronyism on Chris Ferguson's part.

[/ QUOTE ]
it's hard to argue any of the points you made...

[/ QUOTE ]
What is the difference between FT giving them free entry into some touraments vs paying them? Fine, don't give them free entry, but pay them X dollars a month, which is equal to N number of tournament entries and *require* them to participate in N tourneys. Isn't that the same thing?

Also, Keith Sexton is not realted to Mike Sexton.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: 16 FTP Pros in 500K today

[ QUOTE ]

It's kind of like Jennifer Tilly. Just because she somehow got on the Poker Celebrity A List (because she was in a bunch of B movies and TV shows) doesn't necessarily mean (1) that she can play poker, or (2) that she's all that hot (even for a 49 year old, in my opinion).

[/ QUOTE ]

have you seen 49 year olds?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 PM

if you're +EV in the tourney then these guys being there wont matter, they're either going to be worse than you or the cash wont be that important to them so they'll play poorly

only time its in any way bad is the tiny chance a good one gets deep and so do you

but anyway, they do give it back it the form of bounties and a kickass tshirt
Old 08-05-2007, 09:36 PM

I'd suppose the alternative would to just give the pros more $$$ and not pay for their buyins? At least this way the pros have a reason to play in FTP tourneys where they might not otherwise bother.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference between FT giving them free entry into some touraments vs paying them? Fine, don't give them free entry, but pay them X dollars a month, which is equal to N number of tournament entries and *require* them to participate in N tourneys. Isn't that the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that these people shouldn't be paid at all. Do you like it when golf and/or tennis tournaments pay certain talented well-known golfers or tennis players to play the game ? I don't. If they're so good, why can't they pay their own way ?

And this doesn't even approach the level of professionality of golf or tennis. This is just Chris Ferguson and Perry Friedman saying "Yeah, he's a good guy, a good face for FTP ads, pay him to play." Or even worse it's just favors to their buddies, or just favors in general.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:41 PM

that is a sad list of "pros"
Old 08-05-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And why would FT sponsor them?

[/ QUOTE ]

just to piss off bustedromo.

Fwiw, everyone on your "WHO" list has had some amount of marginal tournament success and Lynette Chan has breasts. Michael Craig is an author who collaborates with a lot of FTP pros on various book projects, and I believe he also made a couple WSOP 2007 final tables.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fwiw, everyone on that list has had some amount of marginal tournament success and Lynette Chan has breasts. Michael Craig is an author who collaborates with a lot of FTP pros on various book projects, and I believe he also made a couple WSOP 2007 final tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

why aren't you a FTP pro?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fwiw, everyone on your "WHO" list has had some amount of marginal tournament success and Lynette Chan has breasts. Michael Craig is an author who collaborates with a lot of FTP pros on various book projects, and I believe he also made a couple WSOP 2007 final tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for making my point for me.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=56511

All I can hope is her breasts are better looking than her poker record.