Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Number of dates w/ no action before you say: Enough is enough.
1-3 17 18.09%
4-6 53 56.38%
7 7 7.45%
For Christ's sake man, move on already! 3 3.19%
What kind of loser needs to go on a date to get laid? 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: your reality and information (with poll)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it would be me and I don't think *I* would experience it as me, and I think that *I* would die.

Think about this:
Let's say you don't die from the measurements. Let's say another copy is created while leaving you alive. Let's say ten copies are created. All of this does nothing to affect your state of mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the same token, whatever you do to affect your future is purposeless, as you're no longer "you" by the time those changes happen.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you don't die from the measurements. Let's say another copy is created while leaving you alive. Let's say ten copies are created. All of this does nothing to affect your state of mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then there is no way of knowing which one is the 'real' you. Not subjectively or objectively.

luckyme
Old 03-07-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then there is no way of knowing which one is the 'real' you. Not subjectively or objectively.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Subjectively you would know that you are you and the copy of you must therefore be someone else.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Subjectively you would know that you are you and the copy of you must therefore be someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Each one would be thinking the same ..."Hey, I'M ME!" But at the instant of the transforming, when each entity is still identical ( keeping that word in mind), there can be no meaning to 'this one is me'. At least not if we accept the premise of the question.

luckyme
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the clones would also know that they are me.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an objective statement. You know (subjectively) that they are wrong.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know (subjectively) anything that the clones don't know (subjectively).

by that i mean i dont have access to any information that the clones don't have.

it sounds like you and all your clones would be convinced that they are originals and i and all my clones would doubt that we are.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:40 PM

I'm glad about these poll results. I was worried this thing wouldn't be accepted by the public.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know (subjectively) anything that the clones don't know (subjectively).

by that i mean i dont have access to any information that the clones don't have.

it sounds like you and all your clones would be convinced that they are originals and i and all my clones would doubt that we are.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you knew where you were supposed to end up, right? You were standing at "A", and the clones wind up at "B". The clones should all know that the guy at "A" is the original.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But you knew where you were supposed to end up, right? You were standing at "A", and the clones wind up at "B". The clones should all know that the guy at "A" is the original.

[/ QUOTE ]

i assumed we were ignoring that aspect because it makes the question uninteresting. maybe it's a circluar room with 11 identical sections and it's spinning.