Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What level humour does Lloyd Crumlish operate on?
5th 10 20.41%
10th 2 4.08%
23rd 11 22.45%
67th 8 16.33%
Lloyd for Mod of BBV!!!! 18 36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Grade the killer\'s plays.

Seung Cho’s “Mr. Brownstone” is a comic parable dealing with archetypal themes such as the exploitation of youth and alienation between generations. This post-Freudian work examines...

I can't do this anymore. I've been out of college too long. Is it wrong that I enjoyed this play on a "so bad it's hilarious" level? I mean an entire page of the play was devoted to quoting a Gun 'n' Roses song.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Humorous. Not that bad a writer, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a God-awful writer with no grasp of colloquial speech or play writing.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Humorous. Not that bad a writer, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a God-awful writer with no grasp of colloquial speech or play writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people have no grasp of play writing. It's difficult. Play made me laugh. I award points for that.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I hate to disagree with what some are saying, but...

it is a sorry state of affairs when a senior English Major can write this sort of dreck and not be flunked out of school immediately. These plays are horrifically awful from every conceivable perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I can't, however, stop laughing at the name "Richard McBeef".
Old 04-18-2007, 12:30 PM

This shows why the upcoming attack on the second amendment should really be directed upon the first amendment. yuck.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Speaking as someone with a degree in English Literature, I am absolutely astounded that someone could make it this far and be that bad. That said, he WAS a senior, but I think these plays were written earlier in his academic career. Most of the writing you do as an English major is criticism, it would be interesting to read something he wrote on Billy Budd.

It's been awhile, but McBeef is trying to do something with MacBeth, right?

Now that I'm thinking about it, most of the writers in my classes were pretty terrible, just not THIS bad. This is how I managed to not attend class and write all my papers in the days before they were due and manage a B average at a top-ten school, I guess. So, folks, what you've always believed is true: the English major is a joke.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:32 PM

The stuff about the name Mr. Brownstone being like a "kidney stone of the ass" and the paragraph that followed about his constipation and "ripping his sphincter to relieve a single gram of turd" had me loling. Terrible.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On campus, Cho had raised some alarms. His professor for a 2005 seminar, the renowned poet Nikki Giovanni, found his work disturbingly dark. "He was writing really creepy things," Giovanni said. Worse, Cho was intimidating the other students in the class by snapping pictures of them with his cellphone camera. Finally, Giovanni decided to ask Cho to complete the course work outside the seminar, in a one-on-one tutorial with the department head. "I couldn't allow him to destroy my class," she said.

At the end of the semester, Giovanni gave him an A — not for talent or effort, but because she feared angering him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Los: He was a CREATIVE WRITING major, not an English Lit. major. This means all he had to do was turn in something ANYTHING and he'd pass. This major is total crap and actually is bad for kids who want to be writers. Writers should study things like physical science, economics, history, politics, whatever, as long as it isn't writing. The only reason the major exists is to give jobs to struggling graduate students while they write books/drink/sleep with their students. As a former grad student who taught classes like the one this kid turned these into, I would have probably passed him. It is of correct length and format, and, while insanely childish and insane, is more interesting than the warmed-over soap-opera poop the jocks and sorority girls were writing/plagiarizing. I would have certainly also referred him to go see a counselor, which several of his teachers did. If this major didn't exist, I'm pretty sure he would have flunked out since he sounds like a pure sociopath, so maybe some good will come of this tragedy: congressional ban on creative writing degrees?

--GA
Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I hate to disagree with what some are saying, but...

it is a sorry state of affairs when a senior English Major can write this sort of dreck and not be flunked out of school immediately. These plays are horrifically awful from every conceivable perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I can't, however, stop laughing at the name "Richard McPork".

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP