Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Wtf, Miguel Cabrera?

rofl pron was serious with his first post?

i thought it was a good joke
Old 05-18-2007, 11:13 PM

I had no doubt that he was being serious, what do I win?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Some things will never change.

But I do want to point out that this seems to contradict the rest of PHB's posts and doesn't make sense in context or whatever. I'd like to know the distinction.

[ QUOTE ]
He shouldn't care what the fans think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 PM

You guys have enlightened me. I've reconsidered my stance. But lets go further and say he shouldn't bother stepping into the batters box because he may get hit with a baseball and those things hurt!!! When his turn in the lineup comes, the batboy will trot out with a Cabrera cut-out to take his three strikes so that the Marlins fans can see their hero "doing his thing."
Old 05-18-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also, PHB i hope you are kidding with the AS game thing. i would be very upset if i was the owner/fan of a team and a player was diving for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

He shouldn't care what the fans think. And more fans will remember that he didn't dive for the ball, than had he dove for it and missed it, or even sprained his wrist or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you were serious. just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete Rose = will run through Bob Fosse.
Miguel Cabrera = ehhhh...ehhhh...I don't want to get dirty. I just like swing the bat and eat twinkies.

[/ QUOTE ]

pete rose is a [censored] moron. Plowing a catcher in the all-star game? what a [censored] idiot...

cue Joe Morgan:Now that's grit! There's a reason why he's called Charlie Hustle!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pete rose is a [censored] moron. Plowing a catcher in the all-star game? what a [censored] idiot...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if it was an all-star game? Baseball is baseball. He was trying to win the game. From a fan's perspective, you want to see plays like that. It's a shame that modern players are too busy worrying about messing up their careers from a freakish injury to dive for a groundball in a game like that.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if it was an all-star game? Baseball is baseball. He was trying to win the game. From a fan's perspective, you want to see plays like that. It's a shame that modern players are too busy worrying about messing up their careers from a freakish injury to dive for a groundball in a game like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, too busy worrying about winning games that matter and trying to win championships for their teams rather than impress moronic sports writers with their 'grit' and 'determination?'
Old 05-19-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, too busy worrying about winning games that matter and trying to win championships for their teams rather than impress moronic sports writers with their 'grit' and 'determination?'

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "games that matter". If the Nationals and Pirates meet on the last day of the season, should a player not dive for a reachable ground ball? Where do you draw the line? People are paying good money to watch these games, they deserve to see real baseball being played, not some pussy watered down version.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "games that matter". If the Nationals and Pirates meet on the last day of the season, should a player not dive for a reachable ground ball? Where do you draw the line? People are paying good money to watch these games, they deserve to see real baseball being played, not some pussy watered down version.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a pretty decent line of demarcation could be "Games that count in the standings."
Old 05-19-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a pretty decent line of demarcation could be "Games that count in the standings."

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it matter if the Pirates finish 60-102 or 61-101? It would suck if Jason Bay hurt himself in the last game of the season. Why bother diving to make a catch? It might sound like I'm trolling, but I don't see a distinction between a meaningless game like this and the AS game.