Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Confession of a Programmer

sure it is rigged. they have rigged it so it is impossible to beat the house. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
seriously, if a site were rigged and people found out about it that site would lose soooo much money that it is not worth the risk.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:14 PM

The sites are making stacks of money via the rake. They don't need to rig the games, in fact it is in their best interest to make sure the games aren't rigged to get more players (and therefore more rake) to their site(s).
Old 05-07-2006, 11:30 PM

just wanted to say your screen name is perfect and you should have only drawn an arrow to it. Online poker rigged? Case Closed.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 AM

i if its rigged they did something wrong because i keep winning.granted by me winning i play more therfore i bet more so i guess they make more as in rake more.poker is not a house game why would they rigg it there already making a dollar or more every hand dealt.thats alot of money
Old 05-08-2006, 01:32 AM

Eastern Oregon, correct?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:21 AM

OMG, did the program make the odds in the houses favour? Oh my, never thought of that. And did the poker programs slyly remove a tiny portion of the pot, and keep it for the house? Oh my, no wonder i've lost over $2k in the last week.....
Old 05-08-2006, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...seriously, if a site were rigged and people found out about it that site would lose soooo much money that it is not worth the risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly true. Any e-commerce site knows that if it not trusted by its users then it will go under. This is particularly true for poker where the competition is so tough.

No site is going to endanger its reputation by fixing games. Indeed, why bother? The industry is growing at an expotential rate, the figures look good and the future is rosy. Programmer time is booked solid improving and stabilising sites and keeping up with the compeition.

Even if you could spare time to get a programmer to somehow rig your site, why would you bother?

Threads like this make me smile.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:51 AM

LOL @ "computer programmer"
Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 PM

I don't think online poker is rigged. There is probably rigorous review at least on the top sites, but I do not however believe the OP was saying the site is rigging poker. An individual programmer for one of these sites could place some malicious code into the software he writes, which could potentially slip past the reviewers. It would be in his best interest to never disclose the information on how to work it to your advantage because the secret would not be safe and he would eliminate his fat advantage. I also do not think that many of us would encounter this guy because you would have to be playing against him for the effect to be noticed, and it could only be in situations where detection would be slim. He couldn't win every pot or someone would notice. He could rig his coinflips preflop to payout higher than 55-45 though.

Max
Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember watching a program on the History channel. A Nevada gaming commission worker that checks the slot machines software for fairness. He did that and also changed the program to have a secret code. The code was a special sequence of coins inserted into the machine. Like 1 1 1 2 3 2 2 1 1 2 or so. When the code was entered the jackpot was won. He did this for 5 years or so I think until winning a keno jackpot which raised questions because no one wins keno jackpots!

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked that series until they did a terrible episode on James Mcmanus