Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: *** Official thread for Ed\'s QEFTSG appearance 6/20 ***

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to read through this whole thread, but Ed really needs to cut out the Fantastics.

Maybe it is just a nervous thing he gets, but my God...that was getting comical.

I enjoyed the show, though. Would have liked if they left Ed a sole patch though. Would have made him look a little less boyish.

And Elaine is TALL.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "fantastics" were "encouraged." They had me say it about 15-20 different times in different ways. Comical was the point....
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 PM

Ed really does say fantastic that often though right?

I mean when I met him he gave all 9 people at the table 2 fantastics. THAT WAS 18 FANTASTICS!!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

All the crude, vulgar, obnoxious, and condescending remarks that spewed out of Penn Jillette's mouth all through the tournament. I must say he is one of the most unappealing people I have ever met. All the other "celebrities" (not that I knew who they all were) were funny and more or less pleasant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I've been a fan of Penn and Teller for a long time. While I can't say I'm shocked that he might make crude comments, I am very curious just how bad he was.

Are you willing to share an example or two?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing particularly funny, or clever, or quotable--just a constant stream of homophobic remarks--and, no, that's not to be expected in my circles. The Fabbers are smart and genuinely clever and funny, and Penn Jillette is just crude. Thom outcomedied him, so Penn had little to feel superior about. He was also very condescending to everyone, as if he were the only successful person there, when he was just as C-list as all the others. Plus the normal crude words that wouldn't get through the filter. BTW lest you think this is just the killjoy attitude of a prudish old woman, both Edward and his father think that my own tongue is way too blue and have criticized me for my language. But the obscenities should just be the occasional spice for sensible, interesting remarks. Edward would also tell you that homophobic remarks are one thing I do not tolerate.

He is a huge man, both in height and girth, and about as disheveled and unkempt as it is possible to be. If anyone needed a makeover and grooming lessons, it was he. Edward was told not to shave, get a hair cut, etc., for a while before the show. I don't know what Jillette's excuse was.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 PM

Maybe this has been covered, but I couldn't find it anywhere. How did this appearance come to be? Did Ed or Elaine contact Bravo, or does Ed have an agent that set this up? I'm just curious as to how he ended up on such a show?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this has been covered, but I couldn't find it anywhere. How did this appearance come to be? Did Ed or Elaine contact Bravo, or does Ed have an agent that set this up? I'm just curious as to how he ended up on such a show?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my idea/fault. Watching another show on Bravo, I saw their casting call for Las Vegas, and I thought that it would make a good vehicle for free publicity for the books, especially for GSIH. So I told Edward about my "crazy" idea, and he and Elaine discussed it and gave me permission to send in an application. At the same time Elaine and Edward saw a notice of open auditions in town, so they went. They told me that the audition was full of slobs, but when the slobs were asked about what their stories were, well, they didn't have any. However, we had worked out a number of story angles in advance. responding to all five of the areas the show works with. The casting director was impressed and made some casting tapes. And so, Edward was cast as a SG (straight guy).
Old 06-22-2006, 04:58 PM

Thanks, I was thinking about how that could've happened while I watching the show.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 PM

Does anyone know when/if this will be aired in the UK?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:04 PM

"Edward was told not to shave, get a hair cut, etc."

Wondered about this...

Were they encouraged to leave the place messy? Frankly- what I enjoyed the most about the original season of the show was just the Fab 5 tearing the guy's house to pieces and being catty about it- especially after they left. Ed and Elaine's place as far too nice/clean for them to really work with that

Penn's been equally annoying in every radio spot I've seen him do (oddly he's always trolling the stations on radio row during the superbowl). Also non-shocking that he was available for this gig. (FWIW, imo his q rating is miles bigger than anybody else save maybe Wallace and not really)
Old 06-22-2006, 08:12 PM

FYI..Its on Bravo now
Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM

Did anyone else think Ed's apartment seemed small on the show? Given his fame around here, I guess I was envisioning something...well...bigger. Maybe this is explained by the high cost of living there? Or that he's saving all his winnings?