Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: AC\'ers - How Do You Vote?

[ QUOTE ]
In this case, given the reality that *someone* is going to get elected, it does seem like a good idea to at least try to get the least oppressive candidate elected.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a false and dangerous idea. As Rothbard and many others have pointed out, the small number of people in power can only stay there with the support of the governed. Not the support of the individuals, who most of the governed agree are all corrupt, but of the system itself. Those who vote demonstrate to those in power and to their peers that they still believe in the system. The fewer people that vote, the better. Most people instinctively know that voting is totally meaningless, and eventually enough people will realize it that the state will simply cease operations, because no one will care what they say or do, and people will stop paying its taxes, and will stop accepting its counterfeit money.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to vote. I ran for office as a Libertarian. Then I realized what a sham and scam the entire system is.

Voting is for suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains a lot. Bitter?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voting is for slaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if we all vote to make YOU a slave. Then its for hte masters.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to vote. I ran for office as a Libertarian. Then I realized what a sham and scam the entire system is.

Voting is for suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no?

I never wanted to win, and understood from the get-go that it was impossible. The districts are all gerrymandered. A huge number of races in NC are completely unopposed because the republicrats do not run against each other. I ran so there would be a "protest vote" available for people on the ballot. That was before I realized that not voting was a better and more meaningful protest than voting Libertarian.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Voting is for suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no?

I never wanted to win, and understood from the get-go that it was impossible. The districts are all gerrymandered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if the districts weren't gerrymandered, then the libertarians would have a fighting chance.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:50 PM

I voted for Kerry last election, but I am probably going to vote Libertarian in 2008.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:32 PM

THe government is a reflection of the people's will. If you have a large mass of gullible, illiterate peasants, they will support a tyrannical theocracy. If you have a large mass of egalitarian douchebags, communism will emerge. If you have a mass of people that want protected property rights, little to no government, and a free market, that, and only that, is the way it will be created.

Similarly, if a widespread understanding or desire for libertarian/AC ideals comes into existence, it follows that they would be in a position to successfully elect someone working toward their goals. If elected, improbable as it may seem now, I don't see why this is a bad thing.

By not voting ever ever ever, you are supporting a transition to AC through insurrection as opposed to minarchist transition. If that is the goal, then ok, but I don't see why it is advantageous.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, voting for a candidate (and you have to vote "for" someone, you can't just check "not Bush" on your ballot) is acting to impose a preference. Voting against enacting new legislation is acting *against* imposing a preference (in general; there can be cases (i.e. repeal) where a "yes" vote is a vote against imposing a preference).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this sentiment.
But I guess I see the issue kinda like this: say the rate of some tax is 15%, and candidate A would cut the rate to 5% (and candidate B wouldn't). Out of context, voting for a 5% tax rate may be bad (like, if there was no tax). But given the context, this seems like an act of self-defense against a greater oppression (the 15% rate). So it seems less like I am 'imposing a preference', and more like I am 'removing an unjust law to the best ability as this point in time'.
None of this, of course, means that I am opposed to not voting--I think in a lot of cases this may be the best course of action. I am merely skeptical of the 'never vote' line, because I don't really fully buy into the idea that voting 'legitimizes' the State, in the same way that my shopping at Wal-Mart doesn't 'legitimize' all the government subsidies they are granted.

So I guess this is why I tend to agree most with this:

[ QUOTE ]
In this case, given the reality that *someone* is going to get elected, it does seem like a good idea to at least try to get the least oppressive candidate elected.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-25-2006, 05:09 PM

I voted libertarian in '04.

If there was a good enough republican candidate I could fathom voting for them, but none in the last several elections would qualify.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:13 PM

I disagree. If voter turnout was 20%, the US government would go on collecting taxes and passing laws.