Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: (.5/1) Playing flopped middle set in multiway pot

[ QUOTE ]
when BB caps the turn, I suspect that he may have got lucky and made a set of J's.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the same reasons I'd normally fold when its 2 more back to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, hero is getting 5:1 to call the cap (assuming that BB calls the cap). If he flops a set, he only needs to get in 2 big bets to make the PF call profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consistently call 2 back to you with weak pp and you are the proud owner of a leak.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:54 PM

Quick question regarding small/mid pp's.

In NL we'll typically play small/mid pp's for set value when someone makes a standard raise and the situation is right. The raise should be less than 5% or your stack, and villain's stack should be deep enough to give you good implied odds on your set.

Obviously in Limit Hold'em the implied odds are not as big. What are the general guidlines for playing small/mid pocket pairs for set value? Can you limp and call a raise, but fold to 3 bet?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:03 PM

dont raise this hand preflop... You are not going to make +EV unless you hit a set when you have a low pocket pair. Your goal is to see the flop for one bet with 5 players seeing the flop, although it can still be fine to cold call two bets if you are sure the hand will be at least 5-handed. This is not a hand thats worth raising against a few opponents.

I liked the way you played the rest of this hand. I might be worried after the turn cap and I might not want to bet that river but it turned out fine since there was no re-raise.
NH
Old 04-20-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, hero is getting 5:1 to call the cap (assuming that BB calls the cap). If he flops a set, he only needs to get in 2 big bets to make the PF call profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consistently call 2 back to you with weak pp and you are the proud owner of a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-20-2006, 03:09 PM

You would like to have had a few players enter the pot before you limp in with small pocket pairs.

You are about 7.5:1 to make a set on the flop, and you are looking for the blinds to come along.

Sometimes you might limp in from an early position after say just 1 limper. But that would be when you thought that the table was loose and passive, so that you expected other limpers and hopefully no raises.

If you have limped in and there is a raise and its one back to you, its usually correct to call, because you will have sufficient pot odds to hit your set.

However, if there is more than one raise and its 2 back to you, then its usually a fold with a small pocket pair preflop.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's incredibly rare for me to fold a pocket pair after voluntarily putting a full SB into the pot. In fact, I can't recall ever doing that. I've folded to a cap from BB with a weak PP, and that has only happened once. In shorthanded pots, it's closer, so think about villains' postflop aggression when you make your decision. Pots that are capped preflop tend to have lots more postflop action. 66 is an implied odds hand in this case, and has lots of implied odds coming its way.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You would like to have had a few players enter the pot before you limp in with small pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you are not advocating not completing the blind here. Never, ever, ever, fold a PP for half a bet (if you won't call b/c it's openfolded to you, raise). And don't fold for two more once you've already put two in, all that extra action means you're getting paid off huge if you hit.

OP: Your raise preflop was questionable but not horrible; I will raise this on the button all day. Being in position helps blunt the losses in those "opponent limps trash and calls down with a pair of sevens" scenarios. Flop, meh, with all the action I really don't see much difference in betting vs. checkraising, the only serious mistake you could make is to slowplay to the turn. Turn, you are basically always up against AJs, JJ, or an AA that can't admit it's beat unless BB is a complete moron. With that in mind, going to the river the combined chances of JJ and a heart draw have me check-calling (because you can't bet-fold and I think BB is betting anything he caps on the turn, but he might raise JJ but not AA)
Old 04-20-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Stupit LRR is going to seriously pay us off with his overpair when we flop a set. He LRR's UTG most likely hoping for this sort of action.

On the pfr, I complete too.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you are not advocating not completing the blind here. Never, ever, ever, fold a PP for half a bet (if you won't call b/c it's openfolded to you, raise). And don't fold for two more once you've already put two in, all that extra action means you're getting paid off huge if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he either misread the action, or is addressing the cap-call.