Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Whats your method of moving up limits

[ QUOTE ]
i get bored and start railing the 50/100 or 100/200 tables. then i think, 'these guys are [censored], i should sit'. then i make $1600 in two orbits and remember i suck and go back to 15/30.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the exact same strategy except I lose $1600 in two orbits.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:21 PM

I move up when I feel like losing some money. Worked wonders for the last year or so.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-08-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is not a lot of difference between limits except for .5/1 and 1/2

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is wrong - what I MEANT to say was there is a LOT of difference between the two - the MOST of any two limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is wrong - what I MEANT to say was there is a LOT of difference between the two - the MOST of any two limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having played every Party limit starting from .50/1.00 last summer to 10/20 at present, I don't think his latter statement is as wrong as you think.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When deciding to move up limits, how badly do you need to be crushing your current limit to be moving up?

Is it wise at all to move up to the next limit even if you have a proper bankroll for it but are just a marginal winner at your current limit?

Im guess the answer to my second question is no. But im just wondering whats the minimum winrate you should be achieving at your current limit in deciding whether or not to move up, keeping in mind that you have the proper bankroll for the next limit.

Ptbb/100 numbers or whatever would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lower limits: My goal when moving up was to have (1) 300 BB at the higher limit (2) A 2.5+ BB/100 winrate at the lower limit. If the games have gotten worse preflop, and table VPIPs are reasonable, if I were doing it again I would only require 1.5 BB/100 if it were over 10000 hands, because the rake is so high and I'm not sure how much money you can make off of only postflop. I would only take a 100 BB shot with 1.5 BB/100 stats, though, and see how it works out.

At mid-limits, I'm at 10/20 now and the money actually starts to have meaning, as opposed to being just a bankroll, so I'm in no hurry to move up. I plan on 150BB shots at moving up if or when I have a sustained winrate of 2BB/100 over tens of thousands of hands, or a 1.5 BB/100 winrate over 100K+ hands.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having played every Party limit starting from .50/1.00 last summer to 10/20 at present, I don't think his latter statement is as wrong as you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having played every Party HE Limit I think he's wrong.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:48 PM

The DaveR,

Maybe you should start your own private forum where you can just message little jokes between yourself instead of posting coded messages that nobody understands. OR! You could just tell us what you're talking about?
Old 04-08-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The DaveR,

Maybe you should start your own private forum where you can just message little jokes between yourself instead of posting coded messages that nobody understands. OR! You could just tell us what you're talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

The hardest thing to adjust to in limit HE is aggression. When bad players start pounding they are playing much closer to "right" even though they might be bad players. For most of last year that jump happened around 20/40 and 30/60. I'm not sure where it is now--I haven't played much online in several weeks--but it's certainly not from 0.5/1 to 1/2. I'm only writing this cause I like you, Sponger, and you make me laugh.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having played every Party HE Limit I think he's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between making utterly moronic passive calldowns and not making utterly moronic passive calldowns by far outweighs any skill involved in making aggressive plays on later streets.

This is just semantics, but when you attack someone the burden of proof is to be correct no matter what the semantics are.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:14 PM

I didn't attack anyone. I just pointed out he wrong.

As for calldowns, I have no idea what you're talking about.