Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Re: NL100 AA facing heat on flop

Damn me and I my editing! Just noticed that I left my flop decision in the first post. Sorry for that. Ok, but here's how the hand continued. Still some aggression from OOP.

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1.00
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $123.11
Hero: $210.65
Button: $81.50
SB: $97.50
BB: $39.53

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button calls, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($13.5, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $8</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($37.5, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $22</font>, Hero...

edit: The moment I clicked the call button, I felt that I should have raised. I feel that I haven't got the slightest idea, what is the best hand at the table currently.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:03 AM

In a hand like this you have to decide if you are way ahead or way behind. If you are certain you are way ahead let him lead with his 8 or smaller pocket pair. Put in a baiting raise on the turn to try to get all of your chips in. If way behind get out. I usually take the I'm likely way ahead but cautious line. I'm not likely to fold here but I don't want to bloat the pot. A raise will give me a better clue to where I am at but If he has a monster he will likely only bet small trying to bait me into a raise or string me along. He doesn't want me to fold. This will result in a minimal loss if Im behind and more if I am ahead. If I have him beat it will be hard to extract more from him if I show strenth. I will get a better idea where I am but so will he. Raising will likely end it now unless you are beat. Calling will cause him to bet again and with position you can bet if he checks or you can raise. This is one that you decide on the flop if you want to continue. You may fold the best hand but it could be a loss of a few dollars vs a lot. If I want to see where Im at I would raise on the flop. I don't want to wait until the pot is bigger and the raise must be more.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 AM

As I said in my other post: Raise the flop to push the button off his hand, and also to define your own hand. It makes the turn play so much easier. By calling the flop you put yourself in a very difficult guessing game situation.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 AM

I raise Flop to $24
As played I raise Turn to $60 and call a push
Old 04-04-2006, 12:15 PM

Flop is played perfectly, raise turn or just call if you think he can fire 3 barrels (get it all in on river in that case). If he's got trips he's got em.

Flop call is best because it allows your opponents to bluff / bet an overpair or an 8 to protect their hand, and there are very few draws out there.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you cant ask for much better flop than that one..
if he has 88 hes not betting here or a 7...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldnt he bet a seven?

I agree we are ahead here most of the time, I would just call the flop and see whats doin' on teh turn.

regard,
ness