Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: KK on A high board

So basically the recommendation is to keep betting from flop to river as long as no one is raising?

If a villain is passive enough that he won't raise with an A and just keep calling, then he'll win our money.

The assumption is that most villains will get greedy and raise at some point allowing us to fold if needed?

Onnel
Old 04-04-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically the recommendation is to keep betting from flop to river as long as no one is raising?

If a villain is passive enough that he won't raise with an A and just keep calling, then he'll win our money.

The assumption is that most villains will get greedy and raise at some point allowing us to fold if needed?

Onnel

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't know. Getting called twice on this flop would suck, especially if neither of the callers was the PFR.

If it's just one call (or even two, sometimes), then you've gotta try to figure out if you're getting called by 98s and 44 or if someone must have an ace.

It's not much fun playing KK on an ace-high flop against a field.

But, yeah, betting until someone raises and lets you know you're beat isn't such a bad plan. There are times, though, where you bet and figure if anyone can call, you're just most likely toast and you should give up. It just sort of depends, and it's not always easy to figure out what's best.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:04 AM

Your line seems fine, that's a good way to play it
Old 04-04-2006, 11:05 AM

As i see this hand, i would def. bet the flop, first of all you are the agressor, and why would u give anybody a free card? Depending on how many opponents will call, I would b/f the turn and riv.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Vs 3 opponents a flop check is fine, you're up against an A too often and you don't want to walk into a raise. Also, there isn't a whole lot to this A 5 7 rainbow board. If someone has an ace he isn't going anywhere and there aren't a ton of likely draws. The turn bet is correct due to the presence of the Q creating multiple gutshots, a flush draw, and 1 pair hands you won't want to give a free card. Checking this river vs 2 opponents is also fine because it may induce bluffs and possibly get a free showdown vs a passive A-rag hand.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vs 3 opponents a flop check is fine, you're up against an A too often and you don't want to walk into a raise. Also, there isn't a whole lot to this A 5 7 rainbow board. If someone has an ace he isn't going anywhere and there aren't a ton of likely draws. The turn bet is correct due to the presence of the Q creating multiple gutshots, a flush draw, and 1 pair hands you won't want to give a free card. Checking this river vs 2 opponents is also fine because it may induce bluffs and possibly get a free showdown vs a passive A-rag hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you check / calling the flop? What reason do you have to check the flop otherwise?

On the river you say it induces bluffs, what hand range do you think bluffs in this pot?

True
Old 04-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Personally, I think you should have bet/fold that flop. On a board that dry, you're only getting raised by a hand that beats you like a set or an ace. Many people play this as WA/WB here but simply because of the makeup of the board, I think you can see that you are dead here if raised.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:07 PM

It's impossible to know what your opponents have on a board like this. Most of the time, you can tell if they have you beat if they raise you with an ace on board on this dry of a flop. OTOH, they will often call you with hands you beat such as a smaller pp or a non ace pair on the board. You should probably lead the turn in this circumstance also because you often still have the best hand (then I'd probably check/call the river mattering on how the hand has proceeded for me).

You simply will get called down enough by hands you beat to make this the correct play longterm. Plus, players with hands that beat you will usually let you know by the turn.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:31 PM

Not sure what you're going for on the flop...are you gonna give anyone who bets credit for an ace, call down, c/r, ? I would have probably made a c-bet on the flop after 3-betting PF and gone from there.

Turn is fine of course, I'd also bet the river here. MP isn't acting like they have an ace and they could call with a lot of hands we beat.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM

Being OOP against 3 villians is what makes this one especially brutal, and the PF action doesn't help much either.