Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Ask Baxter about Peru

[ QUOTE ]
The night life in Trujillo is amazing. It didn't hurt that the hardly ever see Americans, so they were all very curious. The nightlife in Cusco (the main tourist city, pretty much of South America) is way too Americanized. Half the people in the city are gringos. You had to ask the right questions to find Peruvian clubs, and they weren't thrilled with Americans entering their clubs. I chanced it though.
The girls in the north were amazing. It took a couple of days to get used to them, since they are different than US girls. I found the girls in the south to be too Indiany for me. They were also too used to Americans in the south.

Here's me and two girls from Trujillo (the north).

[/ QUOTE ]

no son malas, pero no me gustan
Old 03-25-2006, 11:54 PM

I just need to say: Wow.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:57 PM

These two I hung out with. They acted like my tour guide. There were better in the clubs but my spanish wasn't good enough to get all the girls. I had to settle for this pair.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:19 AM

How does the political system work in Peru? I'm trying to figure out what would happen if Humala wins the upcoming election. (For those who don't know, Ullata Humala is a leftist in the style of Hugo Chavez and Evo Morales, who wants to tear up contracts with foreign companies or partially nationalize their assets)

I understand they have a president and a unicameral legislature. Can the president pretty much do what he wants, or can the legislature overrule him (i.e. is it like the US or like Russia?) Do they have the equivalent of a Supreme Court to enforce the constitution?
Old 03-26-2006, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the political system work in Peru? I'm trying to figure out what would happen if Humala wins the upcoming election. (For those who don't know, Ullata Humala is a leftist in the style of Hugo Chavez and Evo Morales, who wants to tear up contracts with foreign companies or partially nationalize their assets)

[/ QUOTE ]

All of that is answered here.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand they have a president and a unicameral legislature. Can the president pretty much do what he wants, or can the legislature overrule him (i.e. is it like the US or like Russia?) Do they have the equivalent of a Supreme Court to enforce the constitution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Under the 1993 constitution (amended in 2002), Peru's chief executive and head of state is the president, who is directly elected for a five-year term. Legislative power is vested in a 120-member unicameral National Congress. Peru is divided into 25 regions that have their own elected presidents and councils.From here.

Congress had the power to initiate and pass legislation; interpret, amend, and repeal existing legislation; draft sanctions for violation of legislation; approve treaties; approve the budget and general accounts; authorize borrowing; exercise the right of amnesty; and delegate the legislative function to the president. A vote of two-thirds of each house was required to pass or amend legislation. From here.

And lastly "The Constitutional Court (Tribunal Constitucional) interprets the constitution on matters of individual rights." From here.