Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Jeopardy! Online Test

[ QUOTE ]
If you are getting most (>75%) when you watch, you should do well on the test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, this is an insanely high number of questions to get right when you watch. Like really high. Very, very few people should get this much correct.

Did you end up being like a multi day champion or something?

I almost have to assume you're totally overestimating the ammount of questions you get on an average show unless you usually keep track.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They don't have five-time champs now? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They used to retire five-time champs, so "five-time champs" was a category that could be used to describe an undefeated player in the past. They lifted that restriction 18 or 24 months ago (see Jennings, Ken).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, thanks for the information. For a second there I thought that after they won their fourth show they were automatically awarded a bonus day and went straight into being a six day champion but you totally cleared that up.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:33 AM

I wish I could have taken this test 5 years ago when I was still smart.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for this, sometimes I feel like the only possible point of my life is to appear on Jeopardy!

[/ QUOTE ]
Been there, done that. Lost, scarred for life now.

Edit: The audition test is really easy for someone who's played quizbowl for a while.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, this is an insanely high number of questions to get right when you watch. Like really high. Very, very few people should get this much correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you really should know about this amount if you plan on being competitive to be on the show.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you really should know about this amount if you plan on being competitive to be on the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. I think I got 48 or 49 out of 50 on the test. When I was on, the three of us were very well matched. Going into Final Jeopardy, we were all within $800 of each other. I ended up getting the final one wrong and losing. The point is, you aren't going to be able to ring in first every time, so if you don't know enough answers, you are screwed. My problem was that I didn't pick any of the Daily Doubles. My opponents did, underbet, and got them wrong. If I had landed on any of them, I probably would have had a huge lead at the end (and got the question wrong and lost anyway).

Summary:
>75% = good chance
<75% = not good chance
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem was that I didn't pick any of the Daily Doubles. My opponents did, underbet, and got them wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I watch, I feel like every DD is underbet. Especially the first one, which is always super-easy.

You too?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok first read this webpage if you're not familiar with Coryat scores. http://www.pisspoor.com/jep.html

Getting more than 75% of the questions right would be a Coryat score of around $40,000~ ($54,000 worth of clues X 75%). It would be obviously less accounting for misses and getting a disproprotionate number of lower clues, but still, you claim to get MORE than 75%, right.

This would be higher a higher average than the man himself who claims his average was around $36,000. So you're saying you do better than the person who held the five day (adjusted) record for prize money.

I honestly just don't believe you guys. If you'd like to record your coryat score for the next two weeks and report back that'd be great. But to say you usually get more than 75% of the questions right while a guy who has written and thought a ton about jeopardy estimates that peoples Coryat scores who are on the show are between $24-28,000 on average is pretty insane. Poker players are notorious for overestimating their win rate and their abilities and I assume its the case here.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every time I watch, I feel like every DD is underbet. Especially the first one, which is always super-easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, eh, kinda. You don't want to be out in a small lead and then dig yourself in a hole so I could kinda see people underbetting.

The thing that bugs me is that near the end when someone who isn't leading gets a DD they rarely put themselves in a position to win. They'll usually bet just enough to still be trailing. If they miss they are completely screwed. I guess they are satisfied with $3000 second place money? I wish I knew the percentage of people who win when they are in first going into final jeopardy. My guess is that it is pretty high.

It amazes me that people who are smart enough to get onto the show and do well have absolutely no clue how to wager on DD or FJ. You'd think they would have taken the time to play some scenarios out and learn basic wagering "rules". Its a freakin game show not an IQ test, and it doesn't seem like a lot of people have figured this out.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok first read this webpage if you're not familiar with Coryat scores. http://www.pisspoor.com/jep.html

Getting more than 75% of the questions right would be a Coryat score of around $40,000~ ($54,000 worth of clues X 75%). It would be obviously less accounting for misses and getting a disproprotionate number of lower clues, but still, you claim to get MORE than 75%, right.

This would be higher a higher average than the man himself who claims his average was around $36,000. So you're saying you do better than the person who held the five day (adjusted) record for prize money.

I honestly just don't believe you guys. If you'd like to record your coryat score for the next two weeks and report back that'd be great. But to say you usually get more than 75% of the questions right while a guy who has written and thought a ton about jeopardy estimates that peoples Coryat scores who are on the show are between $24-28,000 on average is pretty insane. Poker players are notorious for overestimating their win rate and their abilities and I assume its the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

that $40k isn't accurate because u aren't always the fastest to buzz in; if u are fastest half the time (on average one of the other 2 knows the answer as well), then you'll be at $20k, etc