Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Clarification of B&M rules please?

Well verbal declarations are binding and that's a separate rule.

FWIW, Ocean's 11 also has a rule that dealers can't stop a string raise, a player at the table has to call it. I see no problem with using this to your advantage. It really is a simple rule. It's easy to get burned one time if you are a new player but more than that is just stupid.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the "never" camp, I let the dealer do his/her job [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

At foxwoods a dealer cannot call a string bet it has to be a stringers active opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work? Suppose a player says "I call you", puts out $4, and says "and raise another $4". The player on his left is asleep. The dealer nudges him and says "sir, it's on you." "How much is it to call?" Does the dealer tell him it's $8 to call, or $4? If he announces $8, can a player then correct it to $4?

Tom10167 I think deals in Foxwoods -- is this really the rule?

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly you're going to get different results from different dealers as well as different floors, I'm telling the sleeping player to wake up and that it's eight dollars to call, if someone says it's a string bet fair enough.

Moral of the story: Learn how to play poker before playing poker.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moral of the story: Learn how to play poker before playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, presumably, don't fall asleep while doing it.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the "never" camp, I let the dealer do his/her job [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

At foxwoods a dealer cannot call a string bet it has to be a stringers active opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work? Suppose a player says "I call you", puts out $4, and says "and raise another $4". The player on his left is asleep. The dealer nudges him and says "sir, it's on you." "How much is it to call?" Does the dealer tell him it's $8 to call, or $4? If he announces $8, can a player then correct it to $4?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like putting the onus on other players to enforce string bet rulings. The dealer is there to control the game and have it run smoothly and I see no reason why they cannot be trained to determine a string bet from a valid raise. Good grief, the players in my games often don't know the basic rules of the game let alone what constitutes a string bet!!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like putting the onus on other players to enforce string bet rulings. The dealer is there to control the game and have it run smoothly and I see no reason why they cannot be trained to determine a string bet from a valid raise. Good grief, the players in my games often don't know the basic rules of the game let alone what constitutes a string bet!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the rule is set correctly, allowing the active opponents to call or let the string bet slide. At times you want the raise to stand and why should you be punished for a mistake the ignorant bettor has made.
He should get punished by a 3-bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't say for all, but we are not allowed to declare it a string bet without someone bringing it up.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the case at most rooms, a dealer can not call a string, only a player that is active in the hand can.

[/ QUOTE ]

?? At every room I play in LV, the dealers call string bets...

AB
Old 03-13-2006, 11:31 PM

hmm.... I'd be more than happy to call string bets, mostly because it keeps things going. I'll ask the big boss tomorrow. I've been explicitly told this numerous times from various people though.

Should be funny to hear the answer at this point either way.

EDIT: On second thought I don't think I like having to call a string bet for the sake of the game actually.

HU river
Pro bets, donk means to raise but string raises and I declare it, donk calls and pro tables the nuts and loses a bet because I told donk it was a string bet.

They really do that in Vegas? hmmm...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the case at most rooms, a dealer can not call a string, only a player that is active in the hand can.

[/ QUOTE ]

?? At every room I play in LV, the dealers call string bets...

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

really, is this true? I don't like that. Probably just because i'm used to foxwoods and resistant to change, at least thats what my ex-girlfriend said.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:20 AM

This whole idea of, "The dealer should enforce all the rules, except for one," is ridiculous. Can you name another game/sport where such a thing occurs?

If you want to give the opponents the option to "decline the penalty, and let the play stand," that's ok with me. Sounds ridiculous? No more ridiculous than asking the referee/official to call every infraction except for one.