Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: 100nl: I get really confused when ppl donk into me

You're giving your opponent too much credit.

a) Not all villains will in fact fold their draws when they're getting incorrect odds to do so. As a poker player who makes money when opponents make mistakes, we need to try to give opponents as many chances as possible to make big mistakes for big portions of their stack.

b) When he does fold his bad draws, we win the pot right there and don't have to worry about ugly rivers.

c) If his range is sets and (more frequently two pairs), we've still got 8 outs to beat any two pairs with an overpair... which is enough to make our turn raise ALSO a semi-bluff... with fold equity.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a) Not all villains will in fact fold their draws when they're getting incorrect odds to do so. As a poker player who makes money when opponents make mistakes, we need to try to give opponents as many chances as possible to make big mistakes for big portions of their stack.

<font color="blue"> I can say with 99% certainty that this player is folding with incorrect odds 99% of the time</font>

b) When he does fold his bad draws, we win the pot right there and don't have to worry about ugly rivers.

<font color="blue"> Easier doesnt make it the better play</font>

c) If his range is sets and (more frequently two pairs), we've still got 8 outs to beat any two pairs with an overpair... which is enough to make our turn raise ALSO a semi-bluff... with fold equity.
<font color="blue">Valid point</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> I can say with 99% certainty that this player is folding with incorrect odds 99% of the time</font>

<font color="blue"> Easier doesnt make it the better play</font>

<font color="blue">Valid point</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There so many straight and flush draws on the flop. How do u know if he hits on the turn or not?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 PM

The only OPEN-ENDED straight draws are 89 and 56, which didn't hit the turn. If he caught his 64 gutshot, well then that's the sort of thing that will get my chat revoked (;
Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 PM

I dont, but do i want to put my stack in on the flop with a wb/sa situation.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:48 PM

26/14 doesn't sound like a good "TAG reg" to me. Raise the flop and get it in. Waiting till the turn to raise is fine as well. But I wouldn't play it this passively especially given the size of his turn bet
Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 PM

fwiw 68 = double gutted on the flop, and got there although that's a small part of his range

i raise flop/turn -- i think you have to raise one of them ( i would usually raise/call flop)
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only OPEN-ENDED straight draws are 89 and 56, which didn't hit the turn. If he caught his 64 gutshot, well then that's the sort of thing that will get my chat revoked (;

[/ QUOTE ]

so we don't like a 6,J,3,8 or diamond...so that's 12 cards that complete straights and 8 that complete flushes...or nearly half the deck.

Just raise it up.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so we don't like a 6,J,3,8 or diamond...so that's 12 cards that complete straights and 8 that complete flushes...or nearly half the deck.

Just raise it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does "not liking half the deck" translate into $$$ if we shove flop rather than call? Also, keep in mind that villain doesn't like half the deck either.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just raise it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does "not liking half the deck" translate into $$$ if we shove flop rather than call? Also, keep in mind that villain doesn't like half the deck either.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the flush hits and Villain bets it with a missed straight draw and we fold...this is a HUGE mistake. When Villain hits his straight draw and we put him on a missed flush draw and are drawing dead this is a HUGE mistake. When we don't raise the flop, we're inviting the Villain to take it away from us on the turn or river because he knows that we should have raised earlier with a strong hand, so our most likely holding is mediocre.