Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Did Button play this correctly???

The OP made me throw up inside my mouth a little. minraise is AWFUL, and screams 'hey everyone! i have an UBERGOOD hand! pay attention!' Thanks for telling us again how awful AK is, you probably should have limped it, right? Forget what PokerStove and SNGPT and SNGWiz say, it's a BAAAAAAD pooooosh. never push AK imo amirite?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM

With everyone and their mom seeing the flop it is pretty likely someone already has a made straight or a hudge draw like what button has. I would just let your top set go on this VERY dangerous flop. Why take this SMALL edge early when your REAL edge comes from pwning people later in the tourney? Remember, the first part of an SNG is all about SURVIVAL!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 PM

Folding here is horrible. Almost as bad as min-raising. You are going to fold because you assume someone HAS to have 98?!?!?! Yes, there could be a flush draw somebody is willing to chase, but even then, you're a 2:1 favorite with a shot to get a lot of chips. I see the logic for folding, but that is playing incredibly scared poker. Yes, very tight early on is optimal, but I think a fold here is pretty bad.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM

Yeah would'nt fold that either, but minraising is just terrible and giving away odds for a straight/flush draw (that might often bet here).
Make a decent raise, if there's anyone calling you with a draw and getting there, so be it. You have the best hand here, even against a made straight you're 20-25% to win (depending on the suits).
The button play here isn't that terrible, however I would'nt do it often as there's a good chance that you're not having the strongest draw here.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 PM

ThePhoenix78, meet "the level".
Old 11-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Webster,

I think BUTTON's play was pretty REASONABLE!!! He has a LOT of equity against ALMOST ANY ranges for villains, plus the fact that this is a MULTI-WAY (!!) pot likely makes his play EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!!!

Edit - This reminds me of a play the other day I made where I flopped a pair PLUS a flush draw and I bet/3bet the FLOP in a cash game and got called. CRAZILY the guy had flopped TOP 2 but then I hit a flush!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Yay. Oh man, that was a crazy one!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM

OK OK - I KNOW the min bet was bad but THAT was not the question was it!!

As for the min bet (since people seem to be fixated on it).

The odd thing is that this was probably the first time in years that I did not play a Set REAL hard. It's NORMALLY a mantra "DON'T GET CUTE WITH A SET".

I think seeing the guy ahead of me put a tiny bet in put my brain on cramp! I was ready to push but his bet SOMEHOW got me all trappy.

I TOTALLY agree with the min bet - not arguing at all. I sort of knew that but the ORIGINAL question was not on MY play it was on Buttons play.

sheesh! you guys do like to attack when it is not even the question LOL
---
Thanks wiggs73

BTW - I play a pretty tight weak game early but even "I" would not fold ANY set.