Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Creating purpose and intensity in life

No I never heard of that film.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 AM

A dilettante just dabbles at this and that never doing anything with intensity. Intensity is living life with some degree of disinterested passion. Disinterested passion is gusto with small regard to self aggrandizement. A person who has developed their own intellectual sophistication lives a life of passion and depth that few others can even recognize. Carl Sagan said “Understanding is a kind of ecstasy.” Carl knew what living with intensity is all about. It is about billions and billions while others live with thousands and thousands.

This quotation of Carl Rogers might illuminate my meaning of disinterested passion and disinterested knowledge.

“I want to talk about learning. But not the lifeless, sterile, futile, quickly forgotten stuff that is crammed in to the mind of the poor helpless individual tied into his seat by ironclad bonds of conformity! I am talking about LEARNING - the insatiable curiosity that drives the adolescent boy to absorb everything he can see or hear or read about gasoline engines in order to improve the efficiency and speed of his 'cruiser'. I am talking about the student who says, "I am discovering, drawing in from the outside, and making that which is drawn in a real part of me." I am talking about any learning in which the experience of the learner progresses along this line: "No, no, that's not what I want"; "Wait! This is closer to what I am interested in, what I need"; "Ah, here it is! Now I'm grasping and comprehending what I need and what I want to know!"
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 PM

Soros escaped certain death from the nazis. Therefore, no failure in business would create the same consequences as being captured by the germans.

In that regard, it's was easy for him to live with intensity.

To live with intensity, you have to have a goal. Even a simple one, as long as it matters to you. Then you have to go for it with no regard for failure.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does it mean to ‘live life with intensity’?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best example of this that I can think of is the movie "Black Hawk Down". whooof...intense.

pokervintage