Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: LC: Ethical question

Probably the most annoying thing in SNGs IMO is playing against regulars who do it blatantly (I mean letting that timer run down much of the way) and consistently - then those of us averse to this form of bitchery have to pay attention to the timer, and counterstall/engage in severe bitchery so you don't get [censored] all the time - and you still get the worst of it. scossett has gotten terrible about it, hgl187 used to be real bad (prob. playing on another account now and stil doing it), a few others I won't name b/c it's more in streaks of blatancy.

Which leads to a point on why Stars structure sucks in regard to the timer + huge blind increase - stalling can be a huge advantage going up to the 200/400 level or 300/600 level when that BB hits the right opponent - Full Tilt (timer but gradual increases in blind) and Party (no timer, just # hands per level) don't have this problem. The spite you build up may balance that advantage out a bit, but it's still there.

In short I think you have to do it some to protect yourself from equity loss, just don't stoop to the level of bitchery where you're constantly letting that timer run down (or worse, what scossett has been doing lately is starting to let the time run when he's a couple out from the button and there's 2 minutes left - a "pre-stall" to the blatant stall).

Of course, if poker_in_pb/pokereggscom is at your table, he'll be taking 30 seconds per decision every hand anyhow (37.5 seconds if he has a big hand to call with to slowroll a little without making it too obvious), and will give your stalling a bit of camoflouge so you aren't as likely to be conspicuous.

No, this isn't a pet peeve of mine [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 AM

haha gramps nice one. I play on FT so i dont encounter those players...plus i mainly play 60s...

btw, nice move on the LB last month, im thinking your the first person who's managed to pull that! having 500s as your most played game in a month. not to mention your profit + rakeback must be sick...
Old 10-04-2007, 05:55 AM

Party does have this problem, it's been on a timed basis for a while now.. but actually you very rarely see it, at least in my experience.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:25 AM

If it's 100-200 & going to 200-400 very soon I'll stall to make sure its on my button. I've seen alot of others doing it so I put their range very wide for the next hand & call appropriately.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM

IIRC, party has the timer that counts down on your table so visually it was a lot easier to stall.

After Gramps posts the thread should be locked because there isn't going to be any better anwers.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, party has the timer that counts down on your table so visually it was a lot easier to stall.

After Gramps posts the thread should be locked because there isn't going to be any better anwers.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree v. much so.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus it's a good time to load up your vap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM

i do it on ocassion if it is going from L7 to L8 or L8 to L9. hard to pay that much attention when you are mulitibabling. i figure it helps a little bit and a lot of others do it to me but i am not paying attention. the regular as the 60's who does it a TON is Blue Lipton, but he does not seem to play the 60's much anymore.

funny that scossett is a staller. he is such a baby too...
Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Scosset stalled to get me the 400 bb. Then the following happened.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (5 handed) by Hand Converter CG

Klinzmann (t2070)
UTG (t2060)
Scoss (t1625)
Button (t4435)
SB (t3310)

Preflop: Klinz is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Scoss raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Klinz calls t1200.

Flop: (t2900) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2900) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2900) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2900

Seat 1: Klinzmann (big blind) showed [Jd 6s] and won (3525) with a pair of Jacks
Seat 7: scossett showed [Ks Ac] and lost with high card Ace

scossett [observer]: unreal
scossett [observer]: u call
Klinzmann: more stall more spite calls
scossett [observer]: lol bad ev for you
Klinzmann: for u 2
scossett [observer]: there is a reason you ahve teh worst stats out of any 2+2
Klinzmann: lol
scossett [observer]: seriously
scossett [observer]: how bad are u?
scossett [observer]: its funny when recreational players suck
scossett [observer]: u take it serious and suck
Klinzmann: stop stalling mofo
scossett [observer]: gonna make a point
scossett [observer]: to get blinds up on u
scossett [observer]: every game we play
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scosset stalled to get me the 400 bb. Then the following happened.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (5 handed) by Hand Converter CG

Klinzmann (t2070)
UTG (t2060)
Scoss (t1625)
Button (t4435)
SB (t3310)

Preflop: Klinz is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Scoss raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Klinz calls t1200.

Flop: (t2900) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2900) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2900) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2900

Seat 1: Klinzmann (big blind) showed [Jd 6s] and won (3525) with a pair of Jacks
Seat 7: scossett showed [Ks Ac] and lost with high card Ace

scossett [observer]: unreal
scossett [observer]: u call
Klinzmann: more stall more spite calls
scossett [observer]: lol bad ev for you
Klinzmann: for u 2
scossett [observer]: there is a reason you ahve teh worst stats out of any 2+2
Klinzmann: lol
scossett [observer]: seriously
scossett [observer]: how bad are u?
scossett [observer]: its funny when recreational players suck
scossett [observer]: u take it serious and suck
Klinzmann: stop stalling mofo
scossett [observer]: gonna make a point
scossett [observer]: to get blinds up on u
scossett [observer]: every game we play

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be missing something but looks like a good call, lol scossettaments.