Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: This whole \"don\'t call UTG raises\" needs to stop

Daddy,

that's fine. My post isn't a whole just start calling everything from an under the gun opener. Its moreso if you are folding to an UTG raise then be consistent and fold to a MP raise from a guy because frankly I don't think they are much different from most people. Maybe people fold some hands like KQo or KQs UTG and open it in middle position but really I don't know if thats the case.

Also what do you mean an unknown? If its a guy that seems like a regular and has an opening raise of greater than +- 15% then your range for an opener is too low. Pretty much everyone with a clue, and thats who my opening post is referring to (heros calling/folding/3betting range vs a guy who is competent, since we aren't sure if we can outplay him out of position) is raising every single pair up front not just 88+.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM

The OP in that thread stated that the villain was an unknown, and he had no stats on him. We have no idea if villain was a regular, TAG, LAG, limped small PPs UTG or folded them.

I set the line at 88+ because i think that pretty much anybody is opening 88 UTG, no other real reason.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 AM

yes, please start calling my UTG raises people!!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:27 AM

no. continue to fold please.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The OP in that thread stated that the villain was an unknown, and he had no stats on him. We have no idea if villain was a regular, TAG, LAG, limped small PPs UTG or folded them.

I set the line at 88+ because i think that pretty much anybody is opening 88 UTG, no other real reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though that thread had an impact on me starting this one the villain in that hand (however he plays) isn't the imaginary guy Im using in this thread; it's moreso a guy you've played 2k+ hands with, a 2+2 guy/online reg,etc.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, please start calling my UTG+MP1 raises people!!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes it get that % wider if you don't mind answering that question. You will be OOP still against the CO/Button still and that seems like a pretty large percentage for just one seat more "in position".

[/ QUOTE ]

instead of having 3 people who can 3bet me in position from utg, only 2 can from mp. thats a pretty big difference and is the reason kqo is a fold utg but a raise in mp, imo.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 AM

FGators, this is a really good post and should get some good discussing going.

I guess i've never really thought about it all that deeply, but I think you're right with that most 2p2 TAG style players are raising almost identical sets of hands from UTG compared to MP. I think this is mostly because people just sort of toss them into groups of EP, LP, and blinds. This might be a small leak by raising weaker hands from UTG or by not raising enough hands from MP, but it shouldn't be that significant.

When you squeeze a UTG raise from the blinds and they call you, their range becomes pretty defined if they're your standard tag and theres no crazy metagame. Because of this i bet decisions will be much easier although you're oop.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 AM

Ahh im sort of just spewing thoughts because I'm only awake for like the hour after I get up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 10:37 AM

You should really reconsider taking goofy up on his offer. From reading this post it's pretty clear that reading and posting in this forum does you absolutely no good. If I were in your position I'd be glad to spend a few hundred dollars at the chance I could turn a marginally losing game into one that could net tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars a month.

Imagine if you could actually squeak 2-3bb/100 out of your 100k hands per month....

I wish I had your dedication to logging hands. I'll give you many props for that. If I had that same amount of dedication I'd be rich.

Just to stay on topic here.... UTG and MP raising ranges are going to vary and if you start grouping players together too much you're falling into a trap. I mix up my UTG and MP ranges a bit by adding in hands you wouldn't expect at times based on the table conditions and the type of image I'm trying to build. It's not as simple as "An 18/16 raises X range" becuase, if he's any good at poker, his ranges fluctuate based on the table conditions surrounding him.
Closed Thread