Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Pot Odds and Flush Draws

[ QUOTE ]
I have GSHE, SSHE by Ed Miller, and WLLHE by Lee Jones. I read though all 3 of them at least once. I was curious as to how the pot odd chart that someone put together can be read that's all. I thought the guy basically just pulled everything that ed miller said and threw it on charts.

I'm starting to apply some of the concepts that ed miller taught in those books. If this is the wrong forum to ask that then I'll see if I can get this thread moved. I just though it was a place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

stick with Jones ... if you've justed started Miller's book will get you into trouble
Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 AM

raise the flop

call the river
Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have GSHE, SSHE by Ed Miller, and WLLHE by Lee Jones. I read though all 3 of them at least once. I was curious as to how the pot odd chart that someone put together can be read that's all. I thought the guy basically just pulled everything that ed miller said and threw it on charts.

I'm starting to apply some of the concepts that ed miller taught in those books. If this is the wrong forum to ask that then I'll see if I can get this thread moved. I just though it was a place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

stick with Jones ... if you've justed started Miller's book will get you into trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

also ... all of those books cover pot odds ... just read and reread

and look at hands you play (away from the table) and when you have a draw ... and count

or just look at any of the posts here and if someone if drawing ... count the outs for yourself

it's a pretty basic skill and if you don't know how you really shouldn't play untill you understand it
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

isn't there a beginners forum??

this isn't that ...

there are a ton of intro books to hold'em ... get one

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

While there are certainly people playing the micros who are not beginners, and the level of discourse here often gets way past beginner concepts, most beginner on-line poker players start at the micros. If you don't care to participate in helping out the new folks don't, free board etc. But don't jump on a guy asking for information most of the people here used when they were coming up.

OP - Google is your friend, there are tons of sites that will have the charts you are looking for. Find a site that presents in a way that makes sense, print it out and keep it by your computer. Depending on how many hands you play and how fast you learn you won't be using them for more than a month or two.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this isn't that ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

While there are certainly people playing the micros who are not beginners, and the level of discourse here often gets way past beginner concepts, most beginner on-line poker players start at the micros. If you don't care to participate in helping out the new folks don't, free board etc. But don't jump on a guy asking for information most of the people here used when they were coming up.

OP - Google is your friend, there are tons of sites that will have the charts you are looking for. Find a site that presents in a way that makes sense, print it out and keep it by your computer. Depending on how many hands you play and how fast you learn you won't be using them for more than a month or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude - i'm not "jumping" on anyone

there is a beginners forum and it deals with stuff like that (perhaps it's not there anymore ... it was when I started)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:53 AM

there are a few concepts at work in this hand besides pot odds.

A flush flop with the case ace is a bet or a raise most every time.

If you miss the draw on the turn you can still bet for value with a big pot or you can try to get a free card.

Calling the bet may appear cheaper but it costs you money more often than not.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:35 AM

Lets set up a situation. You are at a .05/.10 limit game. You have As and Js and there are 2 spades on the board. The turn card is on the board with only the river left to come. You have 9 (13 minus 4) outs to make your flush. Look down the left side of chart and see the odds are 4.1 to 1 against you hitting the flush. There is 0.80 in the pot, you will be getting 8 to 1 on your 0.10 bet, bingo you make the bet knowing you are getting almost twice the odds needed to be profitable.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this isn't that ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, OP is asking about pot odds, which is a pretty basic concept we don't tend to run through in here. It should be pretty obvious in this hand that hero is never folding flop and turn.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is a raise. If you read SSHE, then you should be aware of juicing flush draws and the free card play.

There is definitely room for a raise on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

am i reading this wrong or what. he did raise the river and didnt have the ability to raise more. i think it was played fine except for the flop
Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop is a raise. If you read SSHE, then you should be aware of juicing flush draws and the free card play.

There is definitely room for a raise on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

am i reading this wrong or what. he did raise the river and didnt have the ability to raise more. i think it was played fine except for the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]