Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Theory in high stakes heads up?

Be careful here, heads up play, especially high stakes hands cannot be analysed in a vacuum. Yes some opponents may be overly aggressive, but there will also be those who are setting up an image and betting pattern thats -EV so you will try to exploit it. They will then in turn exploit your new tendencies (usually in a much beigger pot [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )
This gives a +EV sequence of hands for your opponents. Also bear in mind that others will be <u>attempting</u> to do just this, but getting it horribly wrong. Maybe these are the players you have come across?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for such useful insight. I thought the comment was on. Maybe it isn't a comprehensive view, but heads up it certainly a battle of trying to figure out ranges and tendencies, no question about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how exactly do you do that without looking at your cards...
Old 09-11-2007, 08:50 AM

Besides, there exists an optimal solution to HU nl that doesn't take the opponent into consideration at all. This optimal solution would/will most likely beat the best HU players of today for a significant margin.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 AM

Yes an optimal solution in theory "exists", but Im pretty sure it hasnt been found yet. I think the bot Phil Laak played recently is the closest seen so far. I do believe it will get there eventually though. 6max is another matter [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 AM

Knowing your opponents tendencies and looking at your cards are too independent events . What does this have to do with anything ?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Ok, I will play any of you HU. You don't look at your cards, I play higher stakes than I normally play. I've never played higher than 50nl HU, so should be an easy win for you once you've figured out my frequencies.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 AM

Do you suffer from reading comprehension?

Did I not say that I was exaggerating when I said you don't have to look at your hole cards . The point I was trying to make is that your hole cards are of less importance at heads up high stakes since many hands don't even go to showdown .
Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Did I not say that I was exaggerating when I said you don't have to look at your hole cards . The point I was trying to make is that your hole cards are of less importance at heads up high stakes since many hands don't even go to showdown .

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he suffers from being a troll. He has deliberately ignored your statement in order to post a whole bunch of gibberish about how dumb you are. He has no interest in working through the actual problem at hand; he would rather address the straw man he created in order to "win' a non-existent argument against a non-existent foe.

Its a personality disorder. The rest of us saw your actual statement, which (I think) meant "your opponents perception of your play is very, very, important," in HU, moreso than in other forms.

And I agree.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for such useful insight. I thought the comment was on. Maybe it isn't a comprehensive view, but heads up it certainly a battle of trying to figure out ranges and tendencies, no question about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how exactly do you do that without looking at your cards...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm concerned about my opponents range. I know mine, bumpkin. And I will adjust mine accordingly after I have some information about his.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There exists an unbeatable strategy for when you only know your own cards and don't do any modeling on the opponent. On the other hand, if aba didn't look at his cards I could beat him and I'm a ridiculously worse player than aba. I agree that hole cards matter less than in other forms of poker but they are still really important.

Maybe I read too much into your previous statement though, or came off as to categorical myself. Sorry about that.