Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Value bet here? 10nl

Betting is different than shoving because we can get some marginal hands to call 1/2 pot that would fold to a shove.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 AM

A missed draw wont call any bet. I am struggling to see what maringal hands raise the flop, bet turn but will fold too a less then Pot size shove here?

Although it's only a small sample villan seems quite agressive, i think a check could easily induce a bluff.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am struggling to see what maringal hands raise the flop, bet turn but will fold too a less then Pot size shove here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are right. Unless he happened to have 5h7h but that's just so unlikely. Maybe he would do it with AhXh too, dunno. If we are shoving the river, then why don't we re-raise flop or CRAI turn? I'm just interested in knowing why we would shove, I mean villain will probably bet if we check and we can re-raise if we feel were ahed.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:41 PM

I think I would check/call here. I'm guessing that his limp preflop indicated a more drawish type hands like suited connectors, a small pair or something like that, maybe a weak ace played wierdly?

Without reads it's hard to know if he would raise the flop with 2 hearts or something like that but it's possible. A set (now filled up with aces) is also possible. I think if you check then missed draws and weak aces will bet where they would fold if you bet first, so if you call you can catch out these weaker hands. Check raising the river would suck because you'd only get called by the boat most of the time.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you are right. Unless he happened to have 5h7h but that's just so unlikely. Maybe he would do it with AhXh too, dunno. If we are shoving the river, then why don't we re-raise flop or CRAI turn? I'm just interested in knowing why we would shove, I mean villain will probably bet if we check and we can re-raise if we feel were ahed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should put this in my original post but i dont think i'd shove. I was just saying that i think value betting $4 and calling a shove isnt a plan i like.

If we bet $4 on the river we are stacking off no matter what, when villan has a FH he's going raise all-in and he'll always get our stack, but then when he has trip aces with a lower kicker he isn't going to shove over our bet, he'll just flat call it so we only get $4 off him, that doesnt seem +ev too me. But when we shove he's calling with a FH and he's calling with trip aces so it's seems a better plan i think.

I honestly dont know what i'd do here. I'd either check/call a small bet or maybe bet $2 and fold too a shove, that seems very weak though.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I'm trying to work on my value betting, as it seems to be the best way to punish poor play at these limits. The part I struggled with is that I feel I should be decided if I am ahead or behind. If the answer is ahead I should be betting, or the answer is behind I should be folding. I don't know in what situations check / calling down is right.

Seems general consensus is that check / calling is the right thing here, although a small bet is good option as well.

I suppose the EV lines run fairly close.

Results in white below.
<font color="white"> Hero checks, Villain checks behind, Villain shows KQo no heart????? </font>