Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Help with my little brother

Your brother sounds like an [censored]. Considering his anger towards your father, and that him and his buddies are underage and inexperienced, I would not let him throw the party. Also best to try and keep your dad out of it, as if your brother thinks its his fault, that will only make him hate the guy more.

Also, I know a lot of people feel family is important, but some people are just dicks and it is best to stay away from them.

edit to add: looking over it again, it is just a party, and only have 15-20 kids there may not be bad. If your cousin is going and you 2 are on good terms, you could have him make sure things are ok. Then just take out everything valuable, and lock bedroom doors.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:59 AM

not to mention the drunken H.S.ers driving home. Call the police on his ass.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just stay out of it. It's between him and your dad. Put a lock on the door to your room and lock anything you don't want f'd up and yourself inside and MYOB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is terrible advice. Little brother is underage and wants to throw a party in the OP's home. Just because he has a key to the apartment and Dad alleged told him he is "welcome anytime" does not mean he is "welcome to throw an underage drinking party anytime I'm not here."

OP should not have to deal with potentially having his home trashed, nor potentially being criminally liable for facilitating underage drinking--which he could be for allowing an underage party in his home.

If OP can't be certain that his brother will respect his refusal to have this party, then he should just change the locks. If his brother gets pissed off, then screw him.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:06 AM

Tell your dad. This is a complete lack of respect he's showing.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:16 AM

So I just IM'ed him and told him a I don't want him having a party over here and it isn't gonna happen. He tells me I'm a hypocrit because I'll probably have a few friends over for some beers and poker while my dads gone. What he doesn't get is that it's 5-6 guys, most of whom are 21 playing cards. And that my dad doesn't care if I do it when he's home as long as the under 21's spend the night.
Does the fact that I'll be having a few friends over for a couple beers mean that I lose the right to tell him he can't?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:19 AM

If this party happens, I estimate that there will probably be a 50% chance the police will show up if 15-20 people are there. I live in a 3 bedroom apartment and if there are 10 people, things almost always get out of hand with alcohol involved. If you lived in an apartment near a college things may be different. But if your place is not filled with college partiers who are used to parties they will probably make too much noise. Not only will these kids not know how to handle themselves while drunk I think there is a real good chance of property damage/theft(The last time I there was an uncontrolled party at my old place I found 4 of my ps2 games stolen). Tell him you live here and as long as your dad is gone you're in charge, and if he has a problem with it, tell him to take it up with your dad. Tell him if they are partying when you get home you will call the police because there are unwanted underage minors drinking in your apartment and you do not want to be held responsible. I wouldn't give in just to try to be the cool older brother. What if it does get busted while you are there? You are the only person that actually lives there and I promise the police won't care if you didn't actually want the people there. IMO it isn't worth it.
BTW if this was a house my opinion would change slightly.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the fact that I'll be having a few friends over for a couple beers mean that I lose the right to tell him he can't?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. As you've presented it, its an entirely different thing. If you think your bro is going to be dead set on doing this, move your poker game to the next night, let him get started drinking, and call the cops. If you've clearly told him that you don't want it happening, its your house, your dad wouldn't like it, etc, and he does it anyways, then he's doing it more out of a sense of, "Whateva, whateva, I do what I want" than, "I believe your intellectual position is hypocritical and I won't obey out of principle."

An MIP won't matter to his real life (he may have to sit out some athletics) but it should show him that he can't just do whatever he wants without regard to consequences.

Narcing is fun.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:41 AM

well bro, I'll give you one of my rare honest answers. I come from a broken home. I still have issues with both parents. But I treasure my relationships with my siblings above all else. Try you're hardest to repair the relationship with your bro. Seriously man.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:04 AM

I should probably specify... Bro plans on having his party on Friday night, and I have to work untill midnite. Poker game would be the next night (Saturday)
Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HS kids are scared to death of the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

???