Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Value betting in Giant pot--5/10 live

An unmentioned point, the size of the pot is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the decision to put in new money. Nobody is folding a flush. So what are the odds that a flush, the 54 or QQ are among the 5 hands out against you? Also, worst case scenario, one bet costs you two, calling the check raise. You also don't need to be right 1/2 the time to win. You won't know how many people will follow, but given the size of the pot, most players with anything will want to follow the hand to showdown.

It's your first hand. You have no reads. I don't know how to calculate the liklihood of a player having two clubs, but that fact that it was a backdoor draw after the flop helps you.

While I think you could lose and could be forced to call a raise on the river, with this many probable callers, your equity makes it favorable to bet.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the help guys...I think I pretty well knew the answer but the third club had my hand bouncing off the felt long before my action came around....I can be a real pussy sometimes
Old 08-22-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An unmentioned point, the size of the pot is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the decision to put in new money. Nobody is folding a flush. So what are the odds that a flush, the 54 or QQ are among the 5 hands out against you? Also, worst case scenario, one bet costs you two, calling the check raise. You also don't need to be right 1/2 the time to win. You won't know how many people will follow, but given the size of the pot, most players with anything will want to follow the hand to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is inaccurate, or at least misleading. The pot size affects your decisions to valuebet because it changes whether you can b/f to b/c.

P.S. I am valuebetting QT here.