Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Democratic held Congress approval down to 18%

[ QUOTE ]
The corporate press is going to sabotage the Dems every step of the way -- just as they have done for thirty years running.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* *cough*

Corporate "Press"??? As in newspaper "press"??? I've seen a lot of Right Wing info, but not from our Nations so-called newspaper "journalist". You talkin' WSJ type of press or which? Good Morning America? NBC/ABC/CBS news stations? I'll concede Fox to ya...

EN
Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Corporate "Press"??? As in newspaper "press"??? I've seen a lot of Right Wing info, but not from our Nations so-called newspaper "journalist". You talkin' WSJ type of press or which? Good Morning America? NBC/ABC/CBS news stations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll concede Fox to ya...

[/ QUOTE ]

The distinction between Fox and the rest of the press is that Fox is a straight-out Republican Party front-organization. There is no distinction there between ownership interests and Party interests. They are precisely the same. The others you mention still remain distinctly corporate media, in that they still share an overall agenda with Fox and the Republicans, but are not effectively owned and operated by them in the way that Fox is.

None of them, of course, is even remotely sympathetic to progressive interests.

CNN will broadcast wall-to-wall weather reports, Paris Hilton life-histories, OJ Simpson and dogfighting verdicts rather than investigate Bush, Iraq, Halliburton and domestic wiretapping -- all of which would risk genuinely upsetting the apple cart for the upper class.

q/q
Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

None of them, of course, is even remotely sympathetic to progressive interests.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing progressive about the democratic party.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you underestimate how far to the right the people at the top of our society actually are.

q/q
Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you underestimate how far to the right the people at the top of our society actually are.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

That is irrelevant. The things that the democratic party has implemented while in power over the past 60 years have caused suffering for quite a large number of poor people. Its pretty hard to call them progressive in any sense.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The corporate press is going to sabotage the Dems every step of the way -- just as they have done for thirty years running.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* *cough*

Corporate "Press"??? As in newspaper "press"??? I've seen a lot of Right Wing info, but not from our Nations so-called newspaper "journalist". You talkin' WSJ type of press or which? Good Morning America? NBC/ABC/CBS news stations? I'll concede Fox to ya...

EN

[/ QUOTE ]

The press is right wing and sabotages democrats.... now I've heard it all.

They treat all the kennedys as if they are royalty, they are doing their best to make Jimmy Carter look like he matters, with no mention of how crappy America was during his presidency.

Time magazine has had covers with titles like "the gingrich that stole christmas" and "is rush limbaugh good for America".... when I see a Time cover that says "Is air america good for America" or "Pelosi supports unions, except for the people who work in her family business" maybe I will see this anti-dem media you seem to see.

The media may be right of you...but they are definitly not right leaning.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is far worse than the Bush/Republican approval rates of Congress prior to the Dem's taking control.

Is this solely attributable to the Democratic Party - running and winning Congress - on a pull our troops from Iraq platform and now Hillary is talking about staying another 20-24 months?

Apparently Hillary & Co. are now spouting the same stuff Bush/Cronies were about civil strife if we pull out now.

EN

[/ QUOTE ]

the biggest issue about Congress is what to do with an Obstructionist minority that has threatened filibuster 4 times more often this session then in any other session. That and a president who whips out a veto pen for anything remotely bipartisan. The Republicans have deliberately done everything possible to avoid any appearance of progress in this session by threatening to filibuster every bill that might make the Democrats look productive.

Even the press reports it this way. When a bill is being discussed on the evening news or Sunday program, commentators say it needs 60 votes to pass the senate - what they mean is it takes 60 to end the Filibuster threat so it can come to a vote, but that's too much to state over and OVER for every bill that comes up, so now probably every kid who watches TV and hasn't had a civics class thinks the senate takes 60 votes to pass a bill, and when the 'publicans are the Minority, that's pretty much the case.

While the obstructionism is an inconvenience, and while it allows GWB to share lame duck status, it is a 24 month aberration - Republican fatigue with it's candidates and an overwhelming desire to change the piss poor direction of the country will lead to reduced Republican turnout and I think enough 'publicans are retiring/running from the inevitable change of the guard that I feel we'll be pretty close to a filibuster proof majority and a Democratic president in 2008.

Anyone who's been around for a while in the Minority party is choosing this term to retire - they see the writing on the wall [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RB
Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 AM

Actually if youre going to read Q>Q posts you arent even close to "hearing it all" yet.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That and a president who whips out a veto pen for anything remotely bipartisan.

[/ QUOTE ]

What planet do you guys live on? You are complaining about George W. Bush vetoing too many pieces of legislation? Hasn't he vetoed...like 2 or 3 bills in 6+ years?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That and a president who whips out a veto pen for anything remotely bipartisan.

[/ QUOTE ]

What planet do you guys live on? You are complaining about George W. Bush vetoing too many pieces of legislation? Hasn't he vetoed...like 2 or 3 bills in 6+ years?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was zero through the stem cell bill in September, 2006, two months before the Democrats became the majority. Since then, he's threatened to veto or actually vetoed pretty much every single bill that's passed Congress.