Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Why Did Paul Phillips Quit Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He said he had a $200,000 losing year entering tournaments and that factored into his decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure? Linky?

[/ QUOTE ]

"I cashed $15K for 7th but the $200K at the top would have been a lot nicer, especially because it would have been tax-free since I'm down slightly more than that for the year."

http://extempore.livejournal.com/127517.html
Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is Paul Phillips?

[/ QUOTE ]

The comedy of this statement is that at this point luckyjimm is probably better known in the poker world than Paul Phillips.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 PM

i imagine its hard to stay motivated after you've won a large wpt tournament and you're not playing for the money anyway

also, who can resist the vice-like grip of the high stakes, high drama world of competitive scrabble?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM

I FOLD
Old 08-19-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who is Paul Phillips?

[/ QUOTE ]

The comedy of this statement is that at this point luckyjimm is probably better known in the poker world than Paul Phillips.

[/ QUOTE ]

After much investigation I've narrowed it down to four:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Phillips
Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is Paul Phillips?

[/ QUOTE ]
A dot.com trillionaire, who became known for winning one of the early WPT tourneys.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Don't knock it, I'm well on the way to winning $50 playing Scrabble on Facebook today. Much better than I've done at poker lately.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't knock it, I'm well on the way to winning $50 playing Scrabble on Facebook today. Much better than I've done at poker lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG FACEBOOK
Old 08-19-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I am rubbish at Scrabble - but playing it online has taught me how to be really good at cheating

Charlie Brooker
Monday August 6, 2007
The Guardian

Don't kick your own teeth out with excitement or anything, but I've been playing Scrabble. Virtual Scrabble. Or "Scrabulous" as it's known. It's a plug-in for Facebook: you challenge a friend, then play turn-by-turn; casually, languidly, via email, which means games often last a week or more - like test match cricket, but faintly more interesting.

And it's brightened my life considerably - except that there's a glaring flaw, which is that because a) you're not playing in the same room and b) you have as much time as necessary to take your turn, it's subsequently far too easy - and tempting - to cheat.

Cheating comes in two main forms - "soft" and "hard". Soft cheating involves looking stuff up in the dictionary before placing your tiles on the board. Hard to get away with in real life, but not on Scrabulous, where it's actively encouraged: an interactive dictionary lurks beside the board.

Thus tempted, I became a habitual soft cheater: trying out all my letters in various combinations, tile-by-tile, desperately hoping I could "wish" a word into existence; preferably one that would let me use up both the X and the J and still hit that treble-word-score square.

How about JOGHEXY? Does that mean anything? Something medical? Please? Well, what about just JOXEY? That sounds like a proper word. Almost. Come on, you bastard dictionary. Throw me a sodding bone here.

(Incidentally, I surely can't be the first person to have thought of this, but isn't it time someone released a bogus novelty dictionary containing nothing but made-up, joxey-esque words, with the definition for every entry reading "a word commonly used for cheating at Scrabble"?)

Anyway, soft cheating might not be full-blown hard cheating, but it still leaves you feeling rather cheap. Who knew GIVED was a valid word? Not me, until I looked it up. As I slid the final D into position, I felt hollow inside. Numb.

Inevitably, I soon began hard cheating. It started slowly, with an online anagram generator. I could justify this to myself: hell, if I squinted at my letters I could almost make out a proper word - it was just on the tip of my mind, and the anagram software was only giving me a gentle nudge, which isn't really cheating, right? Besides, a deft Scrabble move is a beautiful thing, and who am I to deprive the world of beauty?

Then I discovered scrabblesolver.co.uk, a site where you simply input the entire layout of the board, and leave it to work out the best possible options. In cheating terms, this was as hard as it gets - so just to keep things plausible, rather than use the No1 suggestion (generally a what-the-hell word like OREXIS), I'd scan the list and pick a suggestion I might have conceivably come up with myself. This was now the only genuine skill I was exercising - choosing a plausible lie. But what the heck? I won every time.

But then my opponents started catching up, placing seven-letter bingos, plus plentiful two- and three-letter branching bonus words such as AA and JO - sneaky words only a computer might know.

Then it hit me: They were using Scrabble Solver, too. We'd rendered ourselves obsolete. It was 100% uncensored computer-on-computer action, with two meat puppets pulling the levers, fooling no one but themselves.

Worst of all, it was hard work. As a game progressed, with ever-more-obscure words snaking hither and thither, it took longer each time to input the entire board layout into the Scrabble Solver engine. What had started as a fun diversion had become an arduous job in which I received regular instructions (the layout of the board), inputted them into the system (Scrabble Solver) and then fed the results back into the machine, ready for regurgitation. It was duller than working in a call centre, and I wasn't even getting paid. I couldn't even enjoy the dull thrill of a pathetic, ill-gotten, vicarious win any more, because with cheats prospering on every side, the outcome was entirely arbitrary.

Eventually I rebelled. Threw off the yoke of my new robot overlords, stopped cheating and started losing honestly. Not because of some kind of ethical awakening, but because I'd discovered the ultimate truth about cheating: it's boring. Grindingly boring.

All those famous cheats - Milli Vanilli, the coughing Who Wants to be a Millionaire major, and about 50% of the riders in this year's Tour de France ... they must feel this hollow and despondent all the time. We shouldn't vilify them: we should pity them.

Anyway, I'm still crap at Scrabble. My one-man mission to redefine ineptitude continues apace. But now at least I'm honest. Or should that be SCRUPULOUS (4H across, 72 points)."

Old 08-19-2007, 05:13 PM

I love Charlie Brooker.