FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Poker and IQ ratings

Thank you for the repsonses.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:01 PM

you took my response too literally

edit: i meant to suggest that there are plenty of poker players w/comparable iq's who suck. in fact, i know quite a few.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IQ tests measure how good you are at doing IQ tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

End thread.

Equating IQ with intelligence (even though that's what it purports to measure) and intelligence with poker ability seems pretty stupid to me.

But seriously, studying will get you farther than sheer brainpower. Put another way, I'd rather stake an average Joe who's been reading about and studying the game for a year, than a genius who pays casually. Put another way, why do you think Sklanski is always talking about the "thinking player", and not the "smart player", having an edge in the game?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 PM

What high IQ tells you is that you are probably good at solving problems and thinking logically which is very important in poker.
So you could see it as a small headstart vs. other beginners when you first start playing poker.

And then you have Mr. James Woods...who supposedly have an IQ of 184 but as we all know....he sucks at poker.

There you go. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

PS: My IQ is 137 so you should obviously respect my raises if we ever meet at a poker table. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 PM

I think folks closer to average do better at poker. They do not worry about getting creative so they never suffer from some form of fps. They rarely play out of position, because it never dawns on them that seven more will be calling the flop after they limp. The biggest thing they have going is they do not get bored so quickly and appreciate how hard they worked for their $$. Unfortunately they also are the poorest judges of when they are beaten before they see the other players hand(s).
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They rarely play out of position, because it never dawns on them that seven more will be calling the flop after they limp.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 PM

John Von Neuman was notoriously brilliant, and was a famously poor poker player.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think folks closer to average do better at poker. They do not worry about getting creative so they never suffer from some form of fps. They rarely play out of position, because it never dawns on them that seven more will be calling the flop after they limp. The biggest thing they have going is they do not get bored so quickly and appreciate how hard they worked for their $$. Unfortunately they also are the poorest judges of when they are beaten before they see the other players hand(s).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty ridiculous
Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is insanely ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]
This is insanely ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculous indeed, this is the sort of comment you'd expect from one of the duller knives in the drawer. I'm around 135, which isn't super-high or anything in the big picture, but the edge I hold over 95% of the population is pretty obvious (to me, at least, and others I've discussed such things with).

Food for thought --> "One can't perceive intelligence greater than their own, much like the human eye cannot detect electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths outside its detection range... It's impossible to "think on that level."

To you room tempies out there, stop hating. IQ tests do a reasonable job of measuring something --> something greater than the ability to write IQ tests. It's no coincidence that doctors, lawyers, engineers, and notable historic figures all tend to have a higher IQ. Assuming this to be true, it's only a hop skip and a jump extrapolating over to poker.

Poker is a game of financial decision making based on probabilistic outcomes. Generally speaking, smarter people make better decisions, DUCY?.

Hint: David Sklansky's IQ is really high.

edit: the internet sure brings out the worst in people [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Closed Thread