Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: NL10: Am I missing a valuebet here?

Besides villain mucking a lot of his cards, I have seen him call a flop and river bet with 3rd pair having K7s. I have seen him call a raise preflop and a flop and turn bet with 33 on a TTQ5 board. It's like he thinks: "That guy is trying to bluff me, but I won't be fooled around, I am gonna make an amazing call!"

He could have Ax, but I didn't think that because he didn't bet the river. I think he would bet a little with TP in fear of me checking it down. I was setting him more on a smaller pair or a flushdraw. But I was just scared of the sight of that ace on the river, so I just checked. Normally I would do that, but against a CS I maybe must have played it differently.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is villain calling with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly ... that is what a value bet is ... look at villains range and bet your hand for value against that

easy money

edit: and bkar ... you will never "know" what he has so put him on a range. That is something you can know and is much better than seeing a card, one he doesn't bet, and then assuming there are monsters under the bed

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that, I guess I gave him too much credit on his range. What do you think the range is here for a calling station?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is villain calling with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly ... that is what a value bet is ... look at villains range and bet your hand for value against that

easy money

edit: and bkar ... you will never "know" what he has so put him on a range. That is something you can know and is much better than seeing a card, one he doesn't bet, and then assuming there are monsters under the bed

[/ QUOTE ]

I should indeed think more in terms of hand range of this specific villain and then decide what I should do and not be scared by a card in general. If I had thought in that mindframe I would probably have put in a valuebet against this specific CS/villain.

Against non calling stations I would have not put in a valuebet. It's not because I think they have an ace, but because I think they will not call with their lesser hands, so why risk something when there is no reward?

Tnx Mingdu for giving me this mindframe.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM

If your hand is ahead of his range then you should value bet whether a station or not

read the link I posted ... Strassa discusses that strong thin value bets are one of the three things that give him pause ... if so then I want to be doing it at appropriate times
Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM

And then once they know you value bet hands, if they stop calling, you can bluff on occasion if you feel they have missed a draw ... I wouldn't do that with calling stations though